Export thread

Echo trimmer string always running back into head

J

juntjoo

Why do these pull the string in so often making me have to take it apart and re-insert the string all over again? I push to let it out til it has to cut itself on the blade, perfect length then after some use one or both sides pull the string back in through the holes. Or what am I doing wrong?20240315_141934.jpg

StarTech

StarTech

One thing that head is worn out. Also make you have sure the internal spool winding the right way. It can be flipped over on the Speed Feed heads and would wind backwards.

Its Me

Its Me

that thing has been dead for a while, looks like he has spent more time eating cement than eating grass and another thing, run the machine wide open this extends the trimmer string in the straightest position, that way the end of the string is cutting not the curved part, if the line glues itself together that means you are letting it get to short, heat transfer with glue them, you will notice this when you take the tap lid off and see the line stuck together.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

that thing has been dead for a while, looks like he has spent more time eating cement than eating grass and another thing, run the machine wide open this extends the trimmer string in the straightest position, that way the end of the string is cutting not the curved part, if the line glues itself together that means you are letting it get to short, heat transfer with glue them, you will notice this when you take the tap lid off and see the line stuck together.
Replace tap button, use correct size line, .080” or .095”, take your time winding the line on correctly, try not to tap the trimmer head on concrete too much, and make sure the line is not too old. You can revive old trimmer line by placing it hot water and then installing.

S

SemperFi

They sell new ez feed heads as a replacement that is the way to go

G

GearHead36

make you have sure the internal spool winding the right way. It can be flipped over on the Speed Feed heads and would wind backwards.
^ This. I had this problem once, and it took me a while, but I finally figured out that the spool was on backwards. I wasn't the one who flipped it, so it took me a while to notice it. At that point, I didn't even know that it COULD be flipped. I guess this is so that the same spool can be used on straight and curved shaft trimmers.

StarTech

StarTech

Most of the Speed Feed head are LH and RH with at least a few exceptions being the large 500 heads.

Here is the basic instructions.

Speed Feed 400 LH/RH instructions

That's it, one part can be used for curved shaft & straight, by just flipping the inner part.

J

juntjoo

One thing that head is worn out. Also make you have sure the internal spool winding the right way. It can be flipped over on the Speed Feed heads and would wind backwards.
No, if you put it in backwards, when it runs it just all falls out. Gotta get this running first now though as it suddenly stopped running ...

B

bertsmobile1

Are you sure it is feeding in ?
Line goes hard with age ( should be kept under water )
If you do not keep feeding it out then it snaps off at the eyelet

J

juntjoo

Are you sure it is feeding in ?
Line goes hard with age ( should be kept under water )
If you do not keep feeding it out then it snaps off at the eyelet
Keep in water? Really? Weird. So being old and brittle it just breaks there? I was thinking it was pulling in somehow. Interesting. Okay then. How about a little oil in the water? Keep it Nice and supple.

B

bertsmobile1

Trimmer line is made from a bio degradable plastic so after a year or so it crumbles up and vanishes
What causes it to break down is the oxygen in the air and of course UV rays
People buy big rolls of line because it is a lot cheaper than do-nuts but unless you do a lot o trimming it will go brittle well before you get to the end

J

juntjoo

Trimmer line is made from a bio degradable plastic so after a year or so it crumbles up and vanishes
What causes it to break down is the oxygen in the air and of course UV rays
People buy big rolls of line because it is a lot cheaper than do-nuts but unless you do a lot o trimming it will go brittle well before you get to the end
Ah... Makes sense. And good news cuz I often look in my lawn at all the stray pieces like they're candy wrappers.That's why I see them all over the place! They're breaking off, not sucking back in. Good to know. They ought to put some nitrogen or mosquito killer in them too. Thanks for the info. Gonna prepare a jar of trimmer line softener

Do you understand some trimmers spin to the right and some spin to the left? The spool sides are identical but is reversed so it so it works for both directions.
Take the string out. Flip the spool, put the cap back on, and reload it. Just flipping it loaded won't resolve the issue.

Bullet Proof yer Speed Feed head.

I did this on my 10 year old Shindaiwa string trimmer.. Same head, just bullet proofed.

StarTech

StarTech

The best way to never have a problem with a string trimmer is to never use it.

M

MParr

I’m still using the speed head that came with my SRM225. The secret to it’s longevity is not bumping it on concrete or asphalt surfaces. It’s getting close to replacement time.

G

GearHead36

I’m still using the speed head that came with my SRM225. The secret to it’s longevity is not bumping it on concrete or asphalt surfaces. It’s getting close to replacement time.
The secret to equipment longevity is to not let people who don't own it operate it.

M

MParr

The secret to equipment longevity is to not let people who don't own it operate it.
That too.
And, don’t loan your stuff out.

G

GearHead36

That too.
And, don’t loan your stuff out.
That was kinda included in my comment. Children, neighbors, in-laws... all fail to treat your equipment as you do.

I'm 10 years on my original speed feed head cap. I just bullet proofed it long ago... Cause I do bump on asphalt & concrete, Can't hurt it, it's bullet proofed. It's not wearing because of this little mod. .