Echo Red Armor 2-Cycle Oil Experience

cruzenmike

Threads
Has anyone else used the Echo Red Armor 2-Cycle Oil?

If so, what have your experiences been with it?

In the past, I was using either Homelite Synthetic Blend or alike without any issues. Heck, I was even in a bind one time and mix SAE30 in gasoline and got by for a tank or two with that. I always use fresh 90 Octane E0 fuel when mixing up my gas and I am always sure to use use the correct amount of oil for my 40:1 and 50:1 containers.

I switched over to the Echo Red Armor and have noticed a few differences in how my equipment is running. First, my chainsaw which is a Poulan, has a much harder time starting and does not like to run very smoothly. This could all be coincidental, so I figure I will attempt to adjust the carb and see if I can resolve the running issue. My Ryobi string timmer, which is using different gas than my chainsaw, all of a sudden sounds different, seems like it is getting hotter and is getting thick red gunk all around the carb. I have tried two different carbs, which have new gaskets and are property set, but no matter what I do, the trimmer just runs poorly.

I hate to say coincidence because the only changes that I have made this year was to the new 2-cycle oil, otherwise the equipment I am referring to have both been tuned up and have new fuel lines, fuel filters, air cleaners/screens and properly gapped spark plugs.

I just figured I would offer up my experience and get any feedback from others who have used this same oil and to see if they too have had any issues. For now, I am going to switch over to a different oil for my mixture, maybe the Briggs, or even Lucas or Amsoil.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a gallon and have gone through about half of it. My observations. If you run it heavier than 50:1 it leaves gummy exhaust. The chainsaws i have torn down have much less combustion chamber carbon than other oils. Equipment seems to start the same as with other oils equipment i run it in: Hutzl ms660 and ms361, stihl ms170, hedge trimmer, blower, pole saw, fs80 string trimmer, lawn boy F engine push mower. I have no complaints about red armour. The Hutzl ms660 chainsaw is fairly high compression and high performance modified saw and i do run it at 40:1.

Mower King

Threads
If mixed PROPERLY with fresh gas.....it's good stuff, we sell a ton of it!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A lot of the newer low ash fully synthetic oils need to be mixed leaner than old oils
Then you have the problem that carburettors meter fuel by volume flowing through a jet
Thinner oil mix = more fuel entering the engine.

Mower King

Threads
And I might add....the more oil you mix, the HOTTER the engine gets and, we all know TOO MUCH HEAT is a killer to most engines!

cruzenmike

Threads
Thanks for the responses. Maybe I will drain my tanks and mix up some new cans. I am almost positive that I mixed at the appropriate ratios but who knows, I am only human. I just thought it odd that both pieces of equipment with two different ratios/can are both acting up now.

I will report back once I have gotten it all situated.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have used the old orange bottle stihl, stihl HP ultra, LawnBoy , Red Armor, Opti2, Stens semi synthetic. They all work OK. If the synthetics are mixed heavier than 50:1 they tend to carbon up exhaust screens and make the mufflers oily. The Red Armor leaves the cleanest combustion chambers, the conventional oils tend to smoke more than the synthetics. Different equipment will have different characteristics. How the equip ia used has a lot to do with it.