Export thread

Earthworms?

J

JimmyWeb

Are earthworms vital to your lawns heath? I'm not really sure what there purpose is other than to be food. Do they benefit your lawn or do they have no effect?

K

KennyV

You bet they benefit it, natural aeration and fertilizer... but they usually are not in a lawn because of all the chemicals that are applied. KennyV

M

mamaA

Yep, as the previous poster mentioned, they help with aeration. They work wonders when it comes to keeping soil healthy! We have worms all over our yard (my kids are always finding them) and flower beds. In fact I had one crawl over my toe in the garden yesterday morning! :laughing:

M

monica123

I always leave the worms because they are a healthy alternative to some things to be putting on my lawn, I rather the worms than some harsh chemicals.

B

BlueGrass

Worms are excellent for your lawn and your garden and don't forget your compost. These little slimy guys eat just about anything and make the soil your lawn is on nice and rich.

J

JimmyWeb

If you work hard and keep a chemical free lawn I'm sure they are still there. I recently dug up a part of my side yard and found them in bunches.

You bet they benefit it, natural aeration and fertilizer... but they usually are not in a lawn because of all the chemicals that are applied. KennyV

R

ReggieDeere

If all that is true then my yard must be in great shape. I keep a chemical free yard, and I have tons of earth worms swimming around in my dirt/clay. No wonder my yard looks so good.:smile:

If you work hard and keep a chemical free lawn I'm sure they are still there. I recently dug up a part of my side yard and found them in bunches.

K

KennyV

No wonder my yard looks so good.:smile:

That would do it... :smile::smile::thumbsup:

RockHound

RockHound

Yeah for earthworms!! Every time I lift up something that's been sitting in my lawn for a while, like a lawn ornament, they are everywhere. If I ever want to go fishing, they're right there for me!:thumbsup:

H

Helper

Good for you RockHound. I played with earthworms when I was a kid and I still like them until now.

Although I agree that earthworms are great for the soil, we should try to look out for the really big ones. If we see so many big earthworms then there might be some infestation going on and it won't be good for the plants.

mystreba

mystreba

we should try to look out for the really big ones. If we see so many big earthworms then there might be some infestation going on and it won't be good for the plants.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think size matters:rolleyes: Worms are good for plants, no matter how big the worms get.

mystreba

mystreba

I must live an a depressed area, because my earthworms seem to be suicidal. Anytime it rains heavily, they come out of the soil by the dozens and head straight for the pool. After a storm I have to skim them off the bottom.

K

KennyV

Anytime it rains heavily, they come out of the soil by the dozens and head straight for the pool..

Actually they are coming up because they will drownd if they stay under flooded earth. I'm sure they are not deliberately aiming for more water... but that happens. Robins like to walk around looking for escapees:tongue:. KennyV

G

Greenblades

I wonder if some of the people whose grass is dying is because the chemicals the people who lived there before killed off the earthworms and now there is not enough aeration in the soil...Is that a possibility?

C

cren

Not to hijack this thread or anything but I am curious, is it possible to re-treat a past treated (by chemicals only) lawn? And if so, how exactly would you start something like that?

N

noma

Hi I know earth worms are good ,but when you get to many then it seams like the lawn is very rough when you mow that's what's happening on my lawn. I have all kinds of worms and the ground is very rough maybe i have a different kind of worm or something is that possible? I'm not really happy with the rough lawn, any way to help make it smoother again, like pulling a roller or aerator or dethatcher over it?

K

KennyV

Hi any way to help make it smoother again,

Aereation is always good , roll after seeding .... BUT to level it out and smooth it 'top dress' using sand or a mixture of sand and compose. KennyV

G

Greenblades

When I was on another forum looking on how to level my very pitted lawn, there seemed to be a consensus that rolling was bad, bad, bad to smooth a lawn. Don't know about reseeding.

I'm not sure at all how to unchemical a lawn, except to maybe plant plants who's roots are known to take up those chemicals...

K

KennyV

Rolling will compact your ground ... not good... But if you aerate well then reseed , then roll to get the seed to contact the earth well and water often...
Without reseeding or over seeding I would skip the rolling. And just aerate then top dress.

I think rain and sun shine breaks down almost all the chemicals you can find on a lawn... Even those that have been over applied . KennyV