Early Style Auto-Choke for B&S 190cc Engine?

beerslayer12

Forum Newbie
Threads
after spraying i bit of soapy water on back of housing (off mower) i pressed primer and bubbles clearly coming through channel to hole and after gasket install as well i have this syringe i think for maybe iv fl. but i use them to pull aquarium water for testing i pressed it up against hole in carb and clearly c fuel squirting up so i hail mary bombed 3 gaskets (i got about 6 or so) and just kept laying into mounting screws(1/4 in drive) and pressed primer at same time and sure enough here comes fuel. now starts 1 pull if primed . i guess some times u just gotta throw deep hope someone pulls it down !

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
after spraying i bit of soapy water on back of housing (off mower) i pressed primer and bubbles clearly coming through channel to hole and after gasket install as well i have this syringe i think for maybe iv fl. but i use them to pull aquarium water for testing i pressed it up against hole in carb and clearly c fuel squirting up so i hail mary bombed 3 gaskets (i got about 6 or so) and just kept laying into mounting screws(1/4 in drive) and pressed primer at same time and sure enough here comes fuel. now starts 1 pull if primed . i guess some times u just gotta throw deep hope someone pulls it down !
Did you over torque the tiny fasteners already? A new filter housing and primer gasket should of got you going. Those tiny screws don't need a lot of torque. Use your weak hand, open your fingers on the ratchet and GENTLY snug it down. It's not going to fly off the mower. No need for impact guns either.

Was wondering if you had some Chinese carb that the primer air circuit didn't work. Had me going for a bit. Glad to hear it's running sir.

Oh and DON'T BE A STRANGER on here. Even if you cut the grass one day, let us know. LOL

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put down the NASCAR impact gun LOL.

slomo

beerslayer12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you over torque the tiny fasteners already? A new filter housing and primer gasket should of got you going. Those tiny screws don't need a lot of torque. Use your weak hand, open your fingers on the ratchet and GENTLY snug it down. It's not going to fly off the mower. No need for impact guns either.

Was wondering if you had some Chinese carb that the primer air circuit didn't work. Had me going for a bit. Glad to hear it's running sir.

Oh and DON'T BE A STRANGER on here. Even if you cut the grass one day, let us know. LOL

slomo
thx 4 responses my auto shop is slow and theres a lot of people dragging/wheeling all sorts of internal combustion machines to the curb in my neighborhood just waiting for pick up and task of reviving the flatliners (as long as its $ effective) as far as impact guns years ago i got online a used 1/2 drive mac tools awp434 ? and its always set to off position- its a beast ! i could only imagine the crews jumping over the walls with that anchor !
i got other civilized i guns for tightening !

D@ve

Threads
So I doubled up the gaskets twixt the carb and the airbox to no avail. My gut tells me a new airbox isn't going to fix this. Anyone know of an aftermarket carb that comes with a manual choke for this, or any other possible ways to eliminate the governor from the equation?

D@ve

Threads
The Governor has nothing to do with this problem.

here is an aftermarket carb with a choke, OEM part number is 499059 or 497586.
https://www.amazon.com/FitBest-Carb...tton+quantum+carburetor&qid=1622914676&sr=8-4
Thanks again Scrubcadet10. I'm not clear on how you can eliminate the governor from the problem since the motor fires up on the first pull when the carb intake is blocked off with a rag, or a shot of starter fluid is used, or the engine is warm. I appreciate your help.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Scrub is correct. Governor is used to control engine speed and has nothing to do with starting.

D@ve

Threads
All right, thanks. I guess that makes sense. I assume then that the primer bulb is the only thing that has an affect on fuel/air mixture at startup with this carb?

D@ve

Threads
Is there any way to test out the primer bulb? I've pulled it out of the air box and there are no cracks or anything. No back pressure when using it, although there doesn't seem to be a lot of air flowing through.