Early Style Auto-Choke for B&S 190cc Engine?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I have used starting fluid, ether, for 40 years working on small engines. Probably used 20 to 30 cans of it. Never blown one up or seized one. The one place i won't use it is a diesel engine. If somebody put enough in a truck engine to blow the oil pan off i wouldn't let them work on a lawnmower. I did remove a lot of arm hair with starting fluid in my 63 Galaxie in high school.
ever seated a tire bead with it?
i haven't yet.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
ever seated a tire bead with it?
i haven't yet.
Well...... yes i have as a matter of fact and due to a slight miscalculation resulting in a sizeable loss of hair on my arm and the back of my head i have purchased an air blast tire bead seater. $100 very well spent!

Ranamow

Threads
Just a note on doubling up the intake gasket... It doesn't work!
What I do, is clean the plastic housing really good, put the gasket on and spread a little bit of rtv along the bottom edge where the air channel runs. Let it dry, and you're good to go.

D@ve

Threads
The Briggs serial number should be on the fan blower housing, either on a bent tab or on the housing in another location.
The only serial number I found is on a barcode on the mower housing, which I can't find any cross reference for on the web. Nothing is stamped into the engine; I checked multiple times. I'm guessing the previous owner must have removed it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What I do, is clean the plastic housing really good, put the gasket on and spread a little bit of rtv along the bottom edge where the air channel runs. Let it dry, and you're good to go.
It's always worked for me.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The only serial number I found is on a barcode on the mower housing, which I can't find any cross reference for on the web. Nothing is stamped into the engine; I checked multiple times. I'm guessing the previous owner must have removed it.
look on the flap above the muffler. it may be rusty enough, get a scotch brite to help clear some rust away,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depending on when it was made I might be able cross reference the bar code. Just post it and see if I can or not.
Using two air cleaner gaskets does work if you modify them to make them contact in the warped area. Basically you making a wedge gasket.

TylerFrankel1

Threads
Depending on when it was made I might be able cross reference the bar code. Just post it and see if I can or not.

Using two air cleaner gaskets does work if you modify them to make them contact in the warped area. Basically you making a wedge gasket.
Always works for me.

Mower bandit

Forum Newbie
Threads
This manual should answer most of your questions. Post back if you have more questions. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00/vie
this is what i have---have to use a shot of gas in carb ---everyone keeps telling me it has the thermostat but it does not! no signs of it anywhere----been looking to see if there is a special carb---mine has run perfect for years and i like it---just now this year it will not autochoke
The model tag should be behind the grass catcher door

D@ve

Threads
I cleaned it up, primed the bejeebers out of it and it didn't give a hint of it wanting to fire after 10-15 pulls. Pulled the air filter off and hit it with one quick squirt of starter fluid and it started with one pull. Most aggravating. FWIW, the model number I found on behind the grass catcher door (thanks Mower Bandit) is 20016, serial # 220407xxx. The problem is that when I look this up on the Toro site it shows this model as having a Tecumseh engine, but I'm fairly certain I have the B&S engine 124T02-0161-B1 as listed for the Toro model 20065 (https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails/?id=31836). I assume from this that someone has Frankenstein'ed this mower together(?). I haven't checked the air cleaner gaskets so I guess that's my last hope unless someone else has any ideas.