Driveway Material

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Andy, thank you for the picture and the description, I have done a lot of flat work with concrete but cannot imagine doing something that huge !!! You didn't mention how thick the concrete is or if you reinforced it with mesh or tied the sections together with rebar. Here in Michigan the freeze/thaw cycle is so harsh any concrete sections not tied together will heave and crack badly.

NICE JOB. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

AndyMan

Threads
The original driveway was gravel, so we really didn't have to prepare it in any way. I made forms from 2x6 boards, so it's about 5-1/2" thick. They aren't tied together - that way each can move independently as the ground below heaves. It makes for frustrating shoveling, as one slab might be higher or lower than the one next to it.

Days like today are really a pain. The sun is shining and Dad's driveway (black asphalt) is clear and dry. Mine (white concrete) is covered with the thick layer of compacted snow that doesn't ever seem to want to leave.

It's nice in the summer when we can walk barefoot on our driveway and his is too hot to get near, but right now I could do without it.