Drive belt

motime

Threads
Hi. I replaced the drive belt about two years ago on my JD model 441777. The mower is losing forward motion when going uphill. If I "pump" the pedal several times, we get over the hill. Cleaned all debris around pulleys and springs. Runs well on relatively flat surfaces. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

JAK1911

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sometimes the spring that tensions the tensioner pullies gets a little weak, and moving it to a different hook spot to add more tension works. Also, the arm that actuates the tensioner plate can sometimes get bent, not allowing it to release the plate all the way. That would be where I'd look first, those two tensioner pullies, the plate they're attached to, the actuator linkage, and the spring. Also, make sure the tensioner pully shafts turn freely and don't wobble.
Hope that helps.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Adding to JAK's very good suggestions
1) check the belt for signs of wear to the end of the V which means the drive pulley is worn out
2) check the pivot hole on the tension arm for wear that has ovalled it out
3) as above check the pivot itself on most JD's ( No idea what model a 441777 is ) is a top hat steel bush which is replaceable
4) check the clutch / brake pedal there is a tab on the rod under the mower that limits it's return movement and debris can build up under there preventing th pedal fully releasing which is the same as you driving a manual car with you foot resting on the clutch pedal .

motime

Threads
Sometimes the spring that tensions the tensioner pullies gets a little weak, and moving it to a different hook spot to add more tension works. Also, the arm that actuates the tensioner plate can sometimes get bent, not allowing it to release the plate all the way. That would be where I'd look first, those two tensioner pullies, the plate they're attached to, the actuator linkage, and the spring. Also, make sure the tensioner pully shafts turn freely and don't wobble.
Hope that helps.
Thank you

motime

Threads
Adding to JAK's very good suggestions
1) check the belt for signs of wear to the end of the V which means the drive pulley is worn out
2) check the pivot hole on the tension arm for wear that has ovalled it out
3) as above check the pivot itself on most JD's ( No idea what model a 441777 is ) is a top hat steel bush which is replaceable
4) check the clutch / brake pedal there is a tab on the rod under the mower that limits it's return movement and debris can build up under there preventing th pedal fully releasing which is the same as you driving a manual car with you foot resting on the clutch pedal .
Thank you

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert the model given is the engine model number. Depending the actual model of the JD it can be either a worn belt or pulleys. Sometime even with a new belt the plastic composite pulleys will be too worn especially the v-idler pulleys.

Worn v-idlers allow the belt to set too deeply effectively making the drive belt too long causing slippage. As Bert eluded to is if the bottom of the v groove is shiny then the belt as bottom out in the pulley. New V belts usually sits with top of belt just a little proud of the top of the pulley and not deeply in groove.

motime

Threads
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will check these out. Yep, that was the number I got off of the engine. The model # is 0145A I believe. Thanks again