Drive belt

metz12

Threads
does anybody know some sort of signs when the motion drive belts are in need of replacement on the craftsman mowers? I feel like my mower isnt going as fast as it should be. ive never had to deal with a worn out drive belt so i dont know if it needs replacing or not. thanks.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pretty much the same signs as you would inspect for in automotive belts in need of replacement,
Listen for squealing sounds from the belts when engaged. These sounds likely mean one or more belts are worn, loose or damaged.

Check belts for signs of wear. You need to do more than just visually inspect the belts. Pinch, squeeze and twist them, looking for cracks, fraying, splits or brittle places.

Check your belts for places where the rubber is slick or glazed in appearance. Slick spots can cause a belt to slip and may be precursors to overheating and cracking.

Inspect the pulleys. Look for a buildup of rubber deposits, as well as worn spots that could catch the belt and cause it to break.
Also check the belts' alignment on the pulleys. They should line up straight on the pulleys.

Check the belt tension. Check the tension on the longest length of the belt; there should be no more than one-half to one inch (1.25 centimeters to 2.5 centimeters) of give.

It's a good idea to check your belts on a regular basis;
Be sure that any replacement belts are the same length and width as the belt they replace.
Many of the new composite belts will not show signs of wear until they break.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Re: motion drive belt

Normally they crack, with pieces missing sometimes if overdue. If used for heavy towing, and, or, people riding the clutch, can get a burned, smooth appearance to the V surface

metz12

Threads

thanks. I pull a trailer with firewood but its not that heavy. will it slip if its too worn down?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

What will happen is under load the belt has a degree of slippage, and over time the surface of the belt gets a glaze on it and can not longer grip the pulleys properly.

metz12

Threads
Thanks. I think it is slipping because when i take off and i get going it makes a weird squeaking/squealing noise. i can probably get one on sears parts direct

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello metz,

Your duplicate threads have been consolidated into this one thread. Best of luck!

ACDDURHAM

Threads
You can also try belt dressing. This is not a long term solution, but will help with the slipping in the meantime until you get a new belt.

Flintmotorsports

Threads
sears parts direct will have all the parts you will need to do the job