Drive Belt

YardMonkey

Threads
6 year old Craftsman 42" with 24HP Briggs.
While looking around under the deck yesterday, I noticed that the drive belt is not really snug when the clutch/drive forward is not engaged. Hope that makes sense. I could reach the end over the pulley and probably pull it off the pulley with one finger.

Seems to run fine, but how do I know when to change the drive belt before it breaks on you...?

Thanks in advance for any input.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
6 year old Craftsman 42" with 24HP Briggs.
While looking around under the deck yesterday, I noticed that the drive belt is not really snug when the clutch/drive forward is not engaged. Hope that makes sense. I could reach the end over the pulley and probably pull it off the pulley with one finger.

Seems to run fine, but how do I know when to change the drive belt before it breaks on you...?

Thanks in advance for any input.
When the clutch is not engaged the belt should have slack so the tractor can be stopped. How much slack ? I really don't know the specifics of your tractor but many are usually loose enough the belt can be removed with the clutch dis-engaged.

There should be an idler pulley the clutch mechanism operates and the mounting bracket the pulley is mounted on should pivot freely. Take a look up under there ( engine off ) while operating the clutch or have a helper operate the clutch so you can observe the movement better. The belt should be tight when the clutch is engaged ( forward or reverse motion desired ) and loose when disengaged ( clutch pedal pushed in ).

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Remember the belts stretch with age and they become kinda rounded loosing the V design . Your belt is easy to remove after you move the belt guide away from the rear pulley .

YardMonkey

Threads
Thanks guys....I think I will get a new belt and go ahead and change it. I appreciate the good info provided. :wink: