drive belt size

jerrycmorrow

Threads
got a troy-bilt 47276 chipper from my brother. the engine was previously replaced with a predator 212cc. the original belt size is reportedly a 5LK 5/8 x 29in. the 29" is too short so i've been trying 5LK300 (30") belts. they tend to break very easily; i broke 3 today.
believe i need to sharpen the chippers but trying to wait til this winter. would a 5LK310 be too large?
TIA, jerry

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry to say this but, only you can answer that question. We are not standing next to you to see your problem. From your description we would be swapping belts to find one which will fit, because a different engine means different belt size.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are breaking a 5/8 belt with a 6.5 hp engine. Something wrong here. Are the belts snapping or getting shredded?

jerrycmorrow

Threads
Sorry to say this but, only you can answer that question. We are not standing next to you to see your problem. From your description we would be swapping belts to find one which will fit, because a different engine means different belt size.
Yeah, thats what i figured. Was just hoping someone had done the same engine replacement. Thanks anyway

jerrycmorrow

Threads
When im pushing the idler in, VERY slowly, the engine tends to die and the belt smokes.
I replaced the idler si i believe it to be good.
Went ahead and ordered a 5LK310 so well see if that helps

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
When im pushing the idler in, VERY slowly, the engine tends to die and the belt smokes.
I replaced the idler si i believe it to be good.
Went ahead and ordered a 5LK310 so well see if that helps
Wrong size pulleys, pulleys are not lined up correctly, sharp edges on pulleys, check all these things.

jerrycmorrow

Threads
Pulleys lined up, no sharp edges, thinking the pulley from the original engine was probly used on this one.
Does anyone know what pulley sizes are?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here is something to consider. Are you using 5L30 automotive belts or 5L30 lawn and garden belts. Totally 2 different applications and the 2 are not interchangeable.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IL he said he using 5LK30 which are Kevlar corded belts and not the 5L30 poly corded belts. They are power rated as light duty belts. He should be using heavy duty B Kevlar belts provided he has an extra 1/32" pulley depth.

Something is either overloading the system like a bearing binding up. OR you simply have the wrong size belt and it is slipping too much. You are starting a huge flywheel weight so if the belt is slipping it going burn it up quickly.

One thing to note when down below 50 inches small belt length changes can make huge changes. I would be make changes in 1/4 - 1/2 inch changes. One problem here is there is not a lot of fractional sizes in this range so you may have shim the motor to adjust the belt length problem.