Drive belt changed and gear direction reversed...what?

timlennon

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Drive belt changed and gear direction reversed...what?
Craftsman Kohler 42" deck. I changed the broken drive belt, have twisted the thing per the schematic...and the gears now work opposite of the gear selection. Reverse goes forward. Forward goes in reverse.
What's up? How do I get them back to correctly operating. Also, will I damage anything driving it with the gear operation reversed? I'm sure it's simple - but I can't figure it out. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will about guarantee that you have the drive belt installed incorrectly. Most likely flipped at the transmission pulley. Give us the model number so we can see what the belt routing is supposed to be, and if possible provide a picture of how you have the belt installed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All of the representations of the belt routing are from above looking down on the mower from above.
Of course when you are under the mower the belt run is a mirror view of the diagram because you are looking up.
It is a more common problem than many would imagine

timlennon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will about guarantee that you have the drive belt installed incorrectly. Most likely flipped at the transmission pulley. Give us the model number so we can see what the belt routing is supposed to be, and if possible provide a picture of how you have the belt installed.
I've got a picture of the schematic...doesn't seem to let me upload it - I could send it email. The "replacement part #" number for the belt is - "131264" Craftsman / GT; Kohler 20 V Twin..46" / (Mod#)-(917-272950) {Ser No.031400A 002060} ....if that's not enough let me know...and I didn't expect to get a reply so soon or I would have gotten back to you sooner. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
All descriptions will be as if you were sitting on the seat. The belt comes off the right side of the engine pulley, around the horizontal V pulley next to the engine, then twist to go under the bottom of the vertical flat idler pulley, over the top of the vertical V pulley, across the top of the transmission pulley, around the transmission pulley and back to the left side of the engine pulley.

I think the confusion is the routing is due to the belt and pulleys are on the right side of the mower, but the diagram shows the belt as if you were sitting on the ground on the left side of the mower.

timlennon

Forum Newbie
Threads
so this sounds like it serpentines...right side of engine to "under" the transaxle...that kind of makes sense as it would reverse the transaxle direction. The picture doesn't have the serpentine. Am I understanding you correctly?...and how long - then - is the belt? It would seem it would have to be longer than what I'm using....84"...thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
so this sounds like it serpentines...right side of engine to "under" the transaxle...that kind of makes sense as it would reverse the transaxle direction. The picture doesn't have the serpentine. Am I understanding you correctly?...and how long - then - is the belt? It would seem it would have to be longer than what I'm using....84"...thanks
Think of the engine pulley as if it was a fence post. Put one end of the belt over a fence post grab the other end of the loop and pull tight. Now rotate your hand 1/4 turn counterclockwise. and that will be a rough diagram of how the belt will look installed but with the right side of the belt going around the idler pulleys.

And by the parts diagram I am coming up with part number 532137153 which is supposed to be roughly a 1/2x83 belt.