Tall grass DR Self-Propelled String Trimmer Problems

jim45

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 15 month old top-of-the-line DR self-propelled string trimmer that is giving me a lot of trouble. This last season both drive wheels failed (cracks along the tread) so I lost over two weeks of use waiting for replacements. The wheels were replaced under warranty and are different so maybe they changed vendors to something better. I guess time will tell. Then the bearing right above the rotating assembly failed but it was also easy to replace. Now I have an intermittent problem with the transmission, occasionally it locks up with the clutch disengaged and I have to physically drag the unit backwards with the wheels locked. I took it into a repair place and they couldn't duplicate the problem so I guess I will have to live with it. Also, the mow balls are made of nylon and only last about 15 hours of use since we have some rock on the surface on our property. I will go through two of them a year. Also, the design results in the engine being tipped forward about 10deg when on a level surface so you have to tilt the unit back to check the oil level. The engine is specified for use on a maximum of 15deg slope so you can only mow downhill on a 5deg slope which is fairly limiting in our area. The B&S engine is great.

I have an old Bear Cat self-propelled unit with a three speed transmission. I had to replace the engine last year and tried to sell it on craigslist.com after I bought the "superior" DR. Fortunately, it didn't sell so I had it available to use when the DR was down. It is actually a superior design in several ways; very heavy steel mow ball, the engine sits level on a level surface and, has a three speed transmission (the newer DRs do also) and the design is rock solid with no problems after six years of heavy use. I wish I had bought another Bear Cat instead of the DR.

Has anyone else had these problems?

Murry Furry

Threads
I have a 15 month old top-of-the-line DR self-propelled string trimmer that is giving me a lot of trouble. This last season both drive wheels failed (cracks along the tread) so I lost over two weeks of use waiting for replacements. The wheels were replaced under warranty and are different so maybe they changed vendors to something better. I guess time will tell. Then the bearing right above the rotating assembly failed but it was also easy to replace. Now I have an intermittent problem with the transmission, occasionally it locks up with the clutch disengaged and I have to physically drag the unit backwards with the wheels locked. I took it into a repair place and they couldn't duplicate the problem so I guess I will have to live with it. Also, the mow balls are made of nylon and only last about 15 hours of use since we have some rock on the surface on our property. I will go through two of them a year. Also, the design results in the engine being tipped forward about 10deg when on a level surface so you have to tilt the unit back to check the oil level. The engine is specified for use on a maximum of 15deg slope so you can only mow downhill on a 5deg slope which is fairly limiting in our area. The B&S engine is great.

I have an old Bear Cat self-propelled unit with a three speed transmission. I had to replace the engine last year and tried to sell it on craigslist.com after I bought the "superior" DR. Fortunately, it didn't sell so I had it available to use when the DR was down. It is actually a superior design in several ways; very heavy steel mow ball, the engine sits level on a level surface and, has a three speed transmission (the newer DRs do also) and the design is rock solid with no problems after six years of heavy use. I wish I had bought another Bear Cat instead of the DR.

Dude, i wish i could help, but thanks for the info. i always wanted one, but with all the problems forget it.:thumbsup:

jim45

Forum Newbie
Threads
If your land is mostly level and you don't need a self-propelled that would be less expensive and more reliable. If you don't have surface rocks the mow ball would last a lot longer. A friend has had two of them over the last 15 years without any problems. In my situation, the Bear Cat is a better choice.

Murry Furry

Threads
If your land is mostly level and you don't need a self-propelled that would be less expensive and more reliable. If you don't have surface rocks the mow ball would last a lot longer. A friend has had two of them over the last 15 years without any problems. In my situation, the Bear Cat is a better choice.

ya, but i have a lawn service i try to make some cash at as a side job.

jim45

Forum Newbie
Threads

Update June 10, 2015.

Since my last post here I've had to put 5 hose clamps around each drive wheel to keep the tires from coming off the rims when I turn the trimmer in soft soil on a slight slope, replaced the starter switch and just replaced the second ball bearing just above the mow ball in four years. The battery is going out but I can replace it on Amazon for 1/3rd what DR wants. Meanwhile, my old Bearcat trimmer just keeps on working...

primerbulb120

Threads
I have an older DR string trimmer. It's not self propelled, and it's been years since the electric start was fully functional. It has stood up to years of rough usage in the woods. The only problem is that the strings get flung out when they wrap around vines or brush. I am sad to hear that the newer trimmer is not as well made.