Down to 2 choices - eXmark X-series vs. Toro 22156 light commercial

canuck88

Threads
  • / Down to 2 choices - eXmark X-series vs. Toro 22156 light commercial
Hi all; I've narrowed my choices in a commercial mower (for residential use only) down to the new eXmark x-series (no BBC) and the Toro 22156 (also no BBC). I would love to hear feedback/opinions seeing as I can get them for about the same price ($1030 vs $960). My original search criteria were:

Powerful engine (both are similar - Kawasaki KAI vs GSV190)
Aluminum deck (both have, eXmark is thicker)
Ball bearing wheels (both have)
Self-propelled (both have, bail controlled variable speed)

*I should mention my lot is small (0.2ac) and completely flat.

The differences I've noticed are:

1. The eXmark is longer (= less maneuverable?)
2. The Toro is 35lbs lighter (87lbs vs 122lbs)
3. The eXmark is much beefier construction (skid plates, etc.)

The fact that they are about the same price leads me towards the eXmark due to it's more commercial construction, but then again I'm just a homeowner and the light weight and shorter wheelbase of the 22156 leads me to believe it would be more comfortable to use.

Any and all opinions are much appreciated!!

Last edited:

scott47429

Threads
either one would be a great mower i like the exmark though some dealers i know the one i use will let you try them before you buy so check and see if your dealer will let you do that and then make a choice

canuck88

Threads
either one would be a great mower i like the exmark though some dealers i know the one i use will let you try them before you buy so check and see if your dealer will let you do that and then make a choice

Good point - I commented on how I thought the drive bail was way too stiff (required like 25lbs of grip pressure to put flat to the handle), and he said they would adjust the cable and I could take it home and try it...

scott47429

Threads
thats what i would do then try before buy my dealer brought 6 different mowers over some new some used before i bought the exmark lol i had it twice he may have been getting tired of me but when you spend that kind of money he will put up with you mine did he made money and I'm happy and that means more business for him if he will see if he will bring them both out at the same time so you can mow half with one and half with the other so you can have them both fresh in your mind when you decide good luck and happy mowing

Threads
I would lean towards the exmark due to how heavy-duty it is, but it depends on how rough you are going to be with it. The are both really good. The exmark also has a really good bagging system.

benski

Threads
I'd lean toward the Exmark as well, especially if you've got a good dealer close to you for support. Either one will probably do a great job for you.