Dolmar 109

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Customer say his chain brake hasn't worked since he got it back from the last shop. I've never worked on a Dolmar, but the way the piece (circled in red) is bumping up against the cover, I'd say it's on backwards.

1689123311762.jpeg

At least I thought it was backways til I looked at this new one.

1689124136000.png

Ah wait, I think I see it. This used to be bent further up the other end. Where the pin is.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

Thanks man. That was very helpful. But what a pain in the rear is was to reset that thing. Those two holes on the inside cover would fit fine with the spring released. But you have to set that before you put that cover on. There's so much tension on those two studs, that they actually move just enough to keep the cover from going on. Luckily I had a drill bit just a little bigger than this hole. The C clip still worked.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Probably would have been easier using a spare clutch drum during the install. I simply don't know as I have only seen one Dolmar saw in 14 yrs.

It is like resetting the Husqvarna chain brake on some models where the customer have pulled the cover off without setting the brake. I had my machinist to make me a tool that I use with a pull bar as I simply can't not reset these things without it. I designed it and he made it. Too bad I got to find myself another machinist as he is retired now.

Either way these brake springs are a pain to install. Spring rate is very high.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably would have been easier using a spare clutch drum during the install. I simply don't know as I have only seen one Dolmar saw in 14 yrs.

It is like resetting the Husqvarna chain brake on some models where the customer have pulled the cover off without setting the brake. I had my machinist to make me a tool that I use with a pull bar as I simply can't not reset these things without it. I designed it and he made it. Too bad I got to find myself another machinist as he is retired now.

Either way these brake springs are a pain to install. Spring rate is very high.

It wouldn't have been as bad if I could set the spring with the inside cover on. I had to use the open end of a wrench, and a screw driver through the hole on the other end of the wrench to turn it into place. The hole in that cover was too small to rotate the wrench.
I still may end up replacing the brake. After bending the curved in back to it's original position, so that I could fit through the hole and into it's slot, the band may still be a bit tight on the drum. I'm not sure why through. I know the hole is in the right place.
I may run it at WOT for about 30 seconds and check the temp of the drum to see if it's heating up.
With the brake off, I can turn the chain, but not too easy. There's some resistance.