Do you use the fuel shutoff valve?

Pauljp

Threads
I take my push mower out of the shed, mow my small front and back lawn and put it back into the shed. Maybe 30-40 minutes.
My new Honda HRN216PKCA operators manual tells me to shut off the fuel valve every time I am finished mowing.
My previous 30 year old mower didn't have a shutoff valve and I never had a problem.
I am just not used to having one. I mowed my lawn today, put away the mower and later in the evening I remembered that I didn't close the fuel valve.
I did go out and shut it off because I knew it was going to bug me, but I am wondering if anyone else actually uses the shutoff valve every single time they cut the grass.
I know someday I am going to forget to open the valve and the mower will die. Can't I just leave it open? I am not transporting it anywhere that could cause flooding in the carb or engine.
Granted for winter storage it is nice to have, but for the regular mowing season do I need to keep opening and closing it?
Please let me know what you do with a fuel valve on a small push lawn mower.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
if I have one on the device, yes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes , in theory you should not have to do it and our mower will not blow up if you don't.
However it is a good habit to get into just like wearing a seat belt or helmet .
I go one step further and advise my customers to stop their mower by turning the fuel off & starving the engine.
If you were a tech and spent 1/2 of your time fixing the problems caused by fuel not being turned off then it becomes a no brainer

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Z has one, but I haven't used it as yet,

On the 21st of this month, I will have had it 1 year..