Mower deck Dixon Mag44 Mower deck issues

Maggy44 Zero

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have a Magg44 Zero turn that works great, for the exception of the mower deck bearings.
I have replaced them twice in 3 years.
It mows my personal lawn, I don't use it commercially.
The unit is durable, and I can see it lasting for years to come.......but those damn deck spindle bearings!
Has anyone come up with a financially reasonable upgrade for these decks??
Thanks for any help.
Mike

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks like the unit calls for BEARING - 6305 - 2RS. I would replace it with a 6305 bearing. The difference between these two bearings is the 2RS bearings have rubber seals and the plain 6305 are open. Also according to what I’ve found the spindle housing should be equipped with zerk fittings, which you should use at least once a season, for residential used customers. When replacing the bearings make sure you pack them properly and load the spindle housing with good quality grease before assembly.
PS: Should have added, get a good quality brand bearing, like Timken.

Last edited:

Maggy44 Zero

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like the unit calls for BEARING - 6305 - 2RS. I would replace it with a 6305 bearing. The difference between these two bearings is the 2RS bearings have rubber seals and the plain 6305 are open. Also according to what I’ve found the spindle housing should be equipped with zerk fittings, which you should use at least once a season, for residential used customers. When replacing the bearings make sure you pack them properly and load the spindle housing with good quality grease before assembly.
PS: Should have added, get a good quality brand bearing, like Timken.
I have the grease zerts on my spindles, and use them.
But I can't say I've used the open bearings.
$42.00 X 6.....damn.
Ok, I'll try it.
Thank You

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If the spindles have zerks and you are using sealed bearings that is your problem as grease can't inside the bearings. You have to remove the inner seals for grease to enter the bearings.

If you are using sealed bearing they need repacking before installing them as the grease in them is only about 1/3 capacity. You usually need to use good grease and fill to about 2/3 capacity. Also don't buy the cheapest bearing out there as that is exactly what they are cheaply made and will not last.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The bearings you are installing probably only have 8 roller balls. Better quality bearings have more roller balls, which means the less friction applied to a single point. If you can find a bearing with more than 8, but sealed, you can cut the rubber seals off both sides. 6305 is the basic part number you need to look for. May have to do some internet searching, both type a out there. Have to ask yourself, is $6.00 per bearing replaced 3 times cheaper than a $10.00 bearing replaced once? If you don’t know how to pack a bearing properly, some good U-tube videos out there.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What in the heck are you doing Rivets. The seals on the 6305 simply pops out if they are the rubber coated one and if metal they pop out too, just a little harder. No cutting needed.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Something else to look at. If the spindles have that sleeve that slides over the main spindle shaft between the bearings they are bad to wear off ends making them too short causing side loading of the bearings.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes I know that. I just cut out the rubber with an exacto knife. This gives me a lip to hold a little bit of extra grease, especially on the bigger ones for tractors. Either way will work just fine.

Maggy44 Zero

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guy's
I can't remember which bearings I purchased the last time, but I do remember asking for a better bearing.(Local Dealer).
I do remember that they were sealed, and it seams like I remember the 6 bearings being around $150.00.
(I used to pack the grease in the cup of my palm, as I rotated the bearing around until it pushed through the top).
With the seals on, I probably didn't worry to much about re-packing them.........this time I will.
Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And balance the blades left right + front to back .
An out of balance blade will throw bearings in no time flat
Also check the belt is not too tight
A slightly longer one or less tension of the idler will make the bearings run a lot easier & hopefully longer .