Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 50" Engine swap

Bat57

Threads
Hey guys, have a question. I am interested in this Dxie Chopper Silver Eagle 50" Zero Turn. It came with a 27 hp V-twin engine and its a 2015 model. Well the engine went bad and the owner replaced it with a Kohler 20hp V-Twin engine. Wouldn't this big of hp difference in the 2 engines effect the perforance of the zero turn or no noticable difference? Thanks for any help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No
Unless you are a commercial mowing contractor where needing to mow thick tall & heavy grass a little slower costs you money
Most modern mowers are way over powered
I use old mowers , 8Hp 34" cut & 10Hp 42" cut so 27Hp for 50" cut is way over the top.
Having said that twin hydros gobble up Hp

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Of course you would be able to notice the difference but the 20 hp will get the job done. They made a lot of Silver Eagles 50s with 20 hp Kohlers on them. Dixie Chopper made some of the older Classics 60 inch cuts with 20 hp Kohlers. They also made some 72 inch cuts with 25 hp Kohlers on them. .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would give you a word of caution. Try it out and check the wheel motors. What you need to do is push the steering levers and push them pretty hard and if you feel it jerking linda like a quiver walk away. Wheel motors are $700.00 plus.

Bat57

Threads
No
Unless you are a commercial mowing contractor where needing to mow thick tall & heavy grass a little slower costs you money
Most modern mowers are way over powered
I use old mowers , 8Hp 34" cut & 10Hp 42" cut so 27Hp for 50" cut is way over the top.
Having said that twin hydros gobble up Hp
Thank you for the information.

Bat57

Threads
I would give you a word of caution. Try it out and check the wheel motors. What you need to do is push the steering levers and push them pretty hard and if you feel it jerking linda like a quiver walk away. Wheel motors are $700.00 plus.
Thank you for the advice.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to check this mower over really good. A six year old mower, that’s already had the engine replaced, throws up yellow flags. This could be an indicator of poor maintenance. You may find yourself sinking a lot of money into it.
@hlw49 has some good advice.

Bat57

Threads
You need to check this mower over really good. A six year old mower, that’s already had the engine replaced, throws up yellow flags. This could be an indicator of poor maintenance. You may find yourself sinking a lot of money into it.
@hlw49 has some good advice.
Thanks for the advice, makes alot of sense.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is a good mower like I said weakest link is the wheel motors. I have a 2006 LT2500 I am about to replace the pumps and wheel motors with the new up graded parts. It will be a really good mower when I get through with it. Parker wheel motors and Hydro Gear pumps. Best going. About$3,000.00 worth of parts. Not sure yet I am even going to break even on it yet sure hope so.

Bat57

Threads
It is a good mower like I said weakest link is the wheel motors. I have a 2006 LT2500 I am about to replace the pumps and wheel motors with the new up graded parts. It will be a really good mower when I get through with it. Parker wheel motors and Hydro Gear pumps. Best going. About$3,000.00 worth of parts. Not sure yet I am even going to break even on it yet sure hope so.
Thanks.