Dixie Chopper Diesel woes

LarryThornton

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Excalibur 66” Chopper with the “Cat” Diesel engine in it (which is actually a “Perkins Shibaura Engines, Ltd.“ engine made in Japan). The problem comes in trying to get someone to work on and get parts for it. Has anyone had issues with this engine? It was running fine and all of a sudden it tried to “run away” . I immediately shut it down but my mechanic tells me it has a broken timing gear and now a broken lifter. Big mistake changing from the Yanmar diesels in these mowers. I also have a 2006 XXWD-5000 72” that has worn out three mowing decks over the years and has the turbo Yanmar 50 hp that runs like a clock. This engine has never been touchEd other than regular maintenance. Need help with this.

FlyboyX

Forum Newbie
Threads
well, mine has the Yanmar 35hp, so i won't be of much help. my only suggestion would be to buy the service manual for your engine and do it yourself. that is what i would do.

LarryThornton

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to Ringpower (Cat Dealer) it’s finally back together and running good so far. It’s another $3k poured into it.

FlyboyX

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Lord! thats brutal. hopefully with proper care you won't have to pour any more money into it for a very long time. do you use synthetic oil? personally, i am a big fan of shell rotella T. I use that oil in everything i own (except my wife's tesla).

this seems to me like the perfect example of a company(Dixie) saving a few bucks on a cheaper engine at the expense of their reputation.

Knock on wood, but i have never had a lick of trouble out of my yanmar which has a touch over 1200 hours on the clock(its a 2008 model year). I noticed in another thread of yours that you have a second Dixie with the 50hp turbo which is probably really awesome. my machine at 35hp and a 66" deck is stupidly over torqued and overpowered. if i hit something, it will bend the deck and the blade in half, but the engine will barely skip a beat. i can't imagine what anyone might need 50 for. i guess for the fun of it, you could swap to smaller pulleys on the hydros and have a 30mph mower, lol.