Diode # for Briggs charging system

rkf_bomb

Threads
Hey all,

I acquired a 14hp briggs I/C engine I'm putting in a gravely 36" walk behind mower. Model 287707-0227-01. The wires coming off the stator have been cut, which is where the diode was. There is still enough wire coming out of the stator but someone down the road cut off the diode connector. I don't want to buy the briggs connector as it won't fit my mower anyway. I just need the actual diode part number so I can solder it in myself. I can't find it anywhere on the internet. I also don't know enough about electronics to know what diode I could use. Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

If anyone is not familiar with this system, it does not use a voltage regulator. It uses a single diode to charge the battery. Not as efficient as a voltage regulator but still works. Briggs calls it a dual circuit charging system for this particular engine. I don't need the other wire which runs lights.

Thanks,
Ron

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Briggs PN 391507 (1N5406 600 PIV, 3A)

rkf_bomb

Threads
Edit- Disregard following post, LOL. I just realized you posted the actual diode #. Thank you!

Thanks StarTech. I'm actually looking for the type of diode briggs uses. They want $10 for that diode. I can go to my local electronics store and get one for $.50. I would consider getting the actual single connector with the diode already installed from briggs but I would need the female connector also since my mower did not have a briggs engine in it originally. It may be possible to modify the connector so I could solder in my own wire but I haven't seen the connector in person so I'm not sure.

Thanks
Ron

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The two position connector housing is an AMP TE Connectivity Mate-N-Lok PN 1-480319-0 and uses male terminal pins PN 60620-1 this mates with the 1-480318 connector housing with female sockets 60619-1 used on the mower side.

Due vibration and heat I would not suggest solding but use crimp ferrules for attaching the diode. Then of use heat shrink tubing to insulate the connection.

rkf_bomb

Threads
The two position connector housing is an AMP TE Connectivity Mate-N-Lok PN 1-480319-0 and uses male terminal pins PN 60620-1 this mates with the 1-480318 connector housing with female sockets 60619-1 used on the mower side.

Due vibration and heat I would not suggest solding but use crimp ferrules for attaching the diode. Then of use heat shrink tubing to insulate the connection.

When you say not to solder due to vibration and heat do you mean that the heat from soldering will hurt the diode? I can move the diode far from the engine since I have to splice it in anyway. I've always thought soldering was the better way to go but I'm just a hobbyist.

So basically my plan is to solder in the diode directly to charging wire coming off stator, solder a new wire on other end of diode and then use a barrel connector for making the connection to the wire that goes to mower end. Hope that makes sense.

If you have a better way I'm all ears!

Thanks,
Ron

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When you say not to solder due to vibration and heat do you mean that the heat from soldering will hurt the diode? I can move the diode far from the engine since I have to splice it in anyway. I've always thought soldering was the better way to go but I'm just a hobbyist.

So basically my plan is to solder in the diode directly to charging wire coming off stator, solder a new wire on other end of diode and then use a barrel connector for making the connection to the wire that goes to mower end. Hope that makes sense.

If you have a better way I'm all ears!

Thanks,
Ron
What I meant is from normal engine operations but to heat from soldering iron can damage the diodoe; matter of any semiconductor can be damaged by to much heat Use no heat than absolutely necessary to make the connection.

The other terminals and housing were post just in case you were wanting to restore the system back to original intented condition.