Difference between Kohler Courage SV735 and SV740

fangronin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good afternoon everyone. I have a Husqvarna riding mower with the Kohler Courage SV735 engine that blew the crankshaft and the engine block. Somehow, the stator magnets made contact with the stator itself, which caused the crankshaft to crack the block. I have it completely dissasemble, but the crankshaft and the block are not salvageable, so I am looking at buying a used block and crankshaft. Unfortunately, I can't find the exact block, but I can find the crankshaft. I have found an SV740 block from a Cub Cadet, and from my understanding, they are pretty much interchangeable based on parts numbers for the internals. All of the bolt patterns and torque settings appear to be identical across the SV series blocks. Can anyone shed some light on this and tell me if the SV740 block is compatible with everything from the SV735, including the oil pan? Thank you very much in advance for all advice.

P.S - I can add photos of parts, except the crankshaft and block, which I have already discarded because they are complete trash now. Also, the SV735 model number is MKC-5 32-560-08, whereas the SV740 is MKC-3 32-560-08, literally one number off, but I don't know how much that matters.

Matthew

fangronin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. This is actually the manual I looked at to determine that they all, seemingly, use interchangeable parts. Am I missing something in the manual? However, jackssmallengines.com shows that the parts numbers are all the same, except for the crankshaft. I will probably get the crankshaft to match the block number, since all other part numbers are the same. Unless someone chimes in to tell me I'm wrong.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is not economic to make a 10 , 10.25 , 10.5 , 10.75 , 11, 11,25 , 11.5 Hp etc etc with unique bore & strokes .
So in most cases the difference is with the carbs
Thus engines are built around a common crankcase / barrel in clusters .
You start with a bore & stroke and by using different carbs or restrictor plates you can get near 8 different Hp in small incriments .
Then you bore the cylinder a bit more or fit a thinner liner to get another 8 Hp cluster
Then you fit a bigger crank to give a longer stroke .
And you keep on doing this till the crank will no longer fit in the crankcase or the cylinder walls are too thin when you then go to a bigger casting and start all over again .
The more common parts the smaller the inventory & hopefully economies of scale come in to keep the costs down.

fangronin

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is not economic to make a 10 , 10.25 , 10.5 , 10.75 , 11, 11,25 , 11.5 Hp etc etc with unique bore & strokes .
So in most cases the difference is with the carbs
Thus engines are built around a common crankcase / barrel in clusters .
You start with a bore & stroke and by using different carbs or restrictor plates you can get near 8 different Hp in small incriments .
Then you bore the cylinder a bit more or fit a thinner liner to get another 8 Hp cluster
Then you fit a bigger crank to give a longer stroke .
And you keep on doing this till the crank will no longer fit in the crankcase or the cylinder walls are too thin when you then go to a bigger casting and start all over again .
The more common parts the smaller the inventory & hopefully economies of scale come in to keep the costs down.

Thank you for the information. I kinda had a similar thought that it couldn't be much of a difference with such small power differences, only without all the extra technical information you provided, lol. Sorry for the delayed response, my weekend was busy with holiday stuff.

Matthew