I have a 3 yr old Cheetah with a 27 hp Kawasaki. My friend has a diesel Scag. We each have the 61" deck and mow about 3 acres each week. We service our own mowers and help each other all the time.
After comparing my mower with my friend's diesel, I have no desire to trade with him. His diesel is noisier and cost a significant more money. The only reason I could see me buying the diesel is if I was going to be continuously cutting deep tall thick grass or planned to use diesel from my pickup auxiliary tank to fill the mower.
I do not know anything about the Grasshopper. I looked at Grasshopper but in my area, most commercial guys use Scag or Hustler. Also my Scag dealer impressed me.
There are plenty of parts that are not made by Scag. I have replaced the battery, key switch, and start relay on my unit. None were Scag built. I fully expect my Scag to outlast me as many folks talk about thousands of hours with the Kawasaki motors, if properly maintained. (My Kawasaki motor has a "Donaldson" Dual filter system). I get about 50 hours a years of mowing. Doing the math, I am not likely to outlive my Scag.