dies when hot

Jim Sim

Forum Newbie
Threads
JD X300 with a 17hp KawasakiFS541V. if the outside temp is warm the lawn tractor will run for 20-30 minutes and die. sometimes will restart right away and other times needs to sit for 10 minutes. Once restarted it may run 5 minutes or 30 minutes. New carb, coils, fuel pump, voltage regulator, plugs. also to note i just burned out the same coil that went out last year.
blew fuel lines out and am running Sea Foam in the gas now. engine sounds better but still died 4 times today. 740 hours on the engine. Please help if you can.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
use an infrared gun on the tank and the carb to see how hot it gets when this happens. Am guessing you've made sure all the cooling fins are clean and the fan is able to circulate cooling air around the engine.

Have you checked to see which is missing when this happens, compression, reasonable air to fuel ratio, or spark?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a pair of red inline spark testers & fit them to your engine
Remove the hood then go mow
When it stops watch the testers
Flash while cranking = fuel problem
No flash = ignition problem
Before you start, check the valve lash
Do not over tighten the adjusters thee is a reason why Kawalasi used 1/2 width nuts.
I find them a PIA to get right .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
740 hours on the engine.
Time for:

1.Remove metal engine cover. Clean block and cooling fins, all around, up and down. As in clean like a new engine. Neglect this and look forward to engine damage. Read engine manual for more info.
2.Pull the head/s and decarbon cylinder/s and valves. Neglect this and you are looking at scored bore/s and oil burning. Read engine manual for more info.
tractor will run for 20-30 minutes and die. sometimes will restart right away and other times needs to sit for 10 minutes.
Flush fuel tank, install new lines, filter and fuel shutoff valve. Should have good flow AT the carb/s.

Once restarted it may run 5 minutes or 30 minutes.
Either fuel delivery issue or an ignition coil flaking out.
New carb, coils, fuel pump, voltage regulator, plugs.
All these "new" parts require testing. New isn't new these days. Especially if you shopped at Amazon and Ebay LOL.
blew fuel lines out and am running Sea Foam in the gas now
You blew out what 5-10 year oil fuel lines. Probably most of those rubber chunks, grass and grit went into the carb.

Anytime you mess with fuel lines, replace them. No sense blowing out tired cracked lines.

dleebold

Forum Newbie
Threads
JD X300 with a 17hp KawasakiFS541V. if the outside temp is warm the lawn tractor will run for 20-30 minutes and die. sometimes will restart right away and other times needs to sit for 10 minutes. Once restarted it may run 5 minutes or 30 minutes. New carb, coils, fuel pump, voltage regulator, plugs. also to note i just burned out the same coil that went out last year.
blew fuel lines out and am running Sea Foam in the gas now. engine sounds better but still died 4 times today. 740 hours on the engine. Please help if you can.
mine was doing that .bad gas cap.i loosened the cap and it's ran fine since.another problem might be terminals on the battery.clean and inspect that.make sure the battery is good too.take shroud off the top of motor and blow off and clean .just my 2 cents.hope it fixes it.