Dies after 30 minutes

GoRoush

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would triple check the spark as Bert said. Inline spark testers are cheap. Always use it later on something else.

slomo
I did check the spark. I am getting spark

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So you have air, fuel and spark? How about compression?

Adjust the valves to factory specs.

Flush the fuel tank verifying good fuel flow.

Head gasket issues? Does the oil dipstick try to blow out of the block when you remove the stick?

Still think this is a flaky coil getting hot. Those inline spark testers don't lie. You can see if you have spark after 20-30 minutes.

slomo

Fusa

Forum Newbie
Threads
“Lawn Tractor dies after short time, and needs cooling off before running again”

My experience only, but maybe yours too.

My experience is only with my John Deere GX345 lawn tractor. It has a mechanical
fuel pump and a siphon feed type of gas tank (under passenger seat).
The problem is not gas tank cover, filter, fuel lines, new fuel pump, or carburetor.
After figuring out what is happening…..
The carburetor is getting more and more air mixed in the fuel as it gets near shut
down from the fuel pump. Finally the lawn tractor dies when too much air is
being pumped to the carburetor.
The air is coming from the fuel pump. The air is being sucked in by the fuel pump
via the weep hole, and pumped on to the carburetor. More and more air as the
heat rises. Test if this is your problem by injecting some compressed air into the
weep hole. You will see your mower die in a short time, I bet. Pinching off the
weep hole or weep hole hose will also restore a dead mower to action again,
that has this problem. (long term weep hole plugged is not good).

Thoughts on why?:

Fuel pump aging?
New fuel pumps have poorer tolerances?
Will you get a new fuel pump that is like the old-original pump that actually worked?

Solution.

Rerouting your fuel feed will help, but not solve. Put a gravity feed on your gas tank?
No! Too dangerous for rider!
Change to a fuel pump that doesn’t inject air.
Vacuum pump or Electric pump.

Electric pump ramblings:
The new type of fuel pumps are “brushless” and have more powerful Neodymium
magnets inside. They rotate differently and depend on the fluid moving through
to lubricate them. Gasoline and diesel do well. Water or air will destroy the pump.
Which pump? The $10 type of pumps have too much pressure and operate like a
see-saw. Noisy, too. They won’t do it for you, unless you put in an in-line pressure
regulator after the pump. There is a small one for $20 or so, that is a dial-a-pressure
spring loaded “restrictor” that should work. I haven’t tried it yet. Get a pump that has an internal
regulator. They are much quieter and in the $20+ range. Prime the fuel line when
installing or when the gas tank is empty or you will burn out the pump. One more tidbit:

Fuel filter is never totally full? It is a trapped air bubble that is difficult to get rid of with the
siphon type gas tank. You can devise a way to fill it up with fuel, but only to do it again,
another time. Just leave it alone.