Did they ever improve the quality of the B & S Intek 2 cylinder engines ??

Charlie8d

Threads
  • / Did they ever improve the quality of the B & S Intek 2 cylinder engines ??
I know that Intek's had a bad rap for years, & am wondering if the new ones were better, now. I am talking about larger 2 cylinder engines.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What specific issues are you referring to that gave it a bad rap.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What specific issues are you referring to that gave it a bad rap.
you should know how bad those engines are IL, you're just towing the company line now... ;)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well personally I have seen many problem with the V-twin but the singles are a different story with cross flow head gaskets to blow and the 793880 camshaft ACR failures.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
you should know how bad those engines are IL, you're just towing the company line now... ;)
The single cylinders with the blowing head gaskets and the camshaft is one thing, but the V twin lower end seems to be fairly reliable. Or are you referring to the non sealing suitcase air filters that cause dirt ingestion issues, or the plastic intake manifold that warped when hot. Have replace a couple camshafts on the twin due to soft camshaft lobes. People reported a lot of different things but most people didn't have the same issue. There are a lot of issues that get reported that in the end the user caused themselves due to not performing maintenance.

And my initial questions was to find out what was being referred to as bad rap problems. And my personal opinion is that all engine and equipment manufacturers have junk engines and equipment.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bingo. Every piece of equipment has it unique faults.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
And my initial questions was to find out what was being referred to as bad rap problems. And my personal opinion is that all engine and equipment manufacturers have junk engines and equipment.
Hit the nail on the head

Charlie8d

Threads
I have had many people tell me of their problems with Inteks & Kohler Courages. I wondered if they had improved. I am thinking of 2 cylinder engines.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The thing is when most people complain about the Intek or the Courage they are talking about the single and not the twin. And most people don't make the distinction between the single and twin cylinder versions of the Intek or Courage. And when people talk about the issues, it makes it sound like it is a widespread problem with the engine. Everybody talks about the Courage crack, but in reality that only effected less than a thousand engines out of a million. And Kohler stood behind the issues by extending the warranty way past the expiration date.

the updated version of the Courage single is the 5400 series, and the updated version of the Courage twin is the 7000 series. The internals of the 5400 series have been changed and beefed up even though it still uses the bucket style block.