Export thread

Did i just mess up

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

OK here it is. I bought a used tractor very low hours in fact 32 on a replacement engine. I didn't do my homework like I should have. Its a 27 HP v twin motor runs great . my problem is its only 724cc equates to 24 hp not 27,. Why is b&s calling this motor a 27 HP ? This is a bs move on their part in my opinion. Engine number is 12 0403 YG 64497

BlazNT

BlazNT

Is the engine new or old stock new?

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

Its a 2012 motor. Was sold and installed in 2014 .I have all the paper work on it .

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

My intentions were to remove the engine and use it as a replacement for a ztr I have with a blown cv730 Kohler. Was thinking I was adding HP but looking like I'm not.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Ok so that explains a lot. All engine manufactures used to test HP at the highest RPM they could get out of an engine and then tell the general public that was the HP. Now they are not allowed to do that any more. You now get a closer HP rating of the Engine. It is still not exact but much more than before.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

Guess I'll sale this mower after I fix a couple things on it.I should have looked better before I bought it .

BlazNT

BlazNT

My intentions were to remove the engine and use it as a replacement for a ztr I have with a blown cv730 Kohler. Was thinking I was adding HP but looking like I'm not.

That depends on what year mower you want to put this engine in. If 5 years or less the yes. if older then no.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

A little green paint and yellow on the deck new blades and replace the bad spindle think I can make a decent profit on my mistake.

ForumRunner_20160905_211358.png

Attachments

T

Tinkerer200

The number you sent is not the engine model number, it is an EPA emissions identifying number. The model number will be stamped into a valve cover unless someone has switched them. From your description it is probably a 44 series engine which ran the gauntlet from about 21 hp to 27 according to the sticker and was not unique in this.

Walt Conner

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

I found a tag on the left side of the motor.with engine family numbers .

Carscw

Carscw

The cc size does not mean how much hp.
Years ago I had a ford 2300 cc engine in a dirt car. 310 hp 14:1 compression.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

So how do I know what I have?

Carscw

Carscw

I always just search the model number.
Even if it is only 24hp I would use it. I went down 4 hp on one of my Toro's. And it does fine.

T

Tinkerer200

I found a tag on the left side of the motor.with engine family numbers .

EPA emissions junk as I said.

Walt Conner

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

The motor say 27 gross HP.I'm putting it on a 2012 zmaster 48 inch cut. Hopefully it works ok.

BlazNT

BlazNT

As long as they are the same year the HP rating will be the same. Meaning if it is the old style of HP rating the other engine will have the old style of HP rating also regardless of manufacture. All engine manufactures used the old style rating system when it was legal to do so. So you will be getting a HP jump.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

Model 44Q777
Type 3187G5
Code 120404YG

Carscw

Carscw

From what I know this is a 27hp
The replacement engine is only 24hp
I do know they run around $1000 new.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

So is it a 27 or 24 ? Its lower cc than what I'm replacing but if its a true 27 I'm still gaining hp

BlazNT

BlazNT

From these numbers it's 27hp
Model 44Q777
Type 3187G5
Code 120404YG

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

Thanks it says 27 just don't see how it could be with the only 724 cc