did a 12 buck dog toy just cost me a lot of money...???

MowLou

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / did a 12 buck dog toy just cost me a lot of money...???
Was cutting the grass yesterday on my Ariens 42" HT. Big pine tree behind my fence had a branch in my face and I did not see the dog toy in the pine needles in front of me. Ran over it and mower stopped so hard it almost threw me off. I removed the dog toy from the blades and made sure the belt still turned everything. Blades didnt get bent thankfully but I think the jolt slightly bent the main center pulley. Tried to start it up and the engine just turns and turns now. Went out today and the mower still turns and turns but nothing. Could this have seized something up, or is this lack of starting just coincidental???

Thanks for any help in advance!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say you striped the keyway on the flywheel to the engine.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would say you striped the keyway on the flywheel to the engine.

Ouch, based upon that.....seems like the answer to the question in the OP's thread Title, unfortunately, is yes:0(

P.S.
Exactly what kind of dog toy???? And is the dog a Great Dane?????

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ouch, based upon that.....seems like the answer to the question in the OP's thread Title, unfortunately, is yes:0(

P.S.
Exactly what kind of dog toy???? And is the dog a Great Dane?????

I agree on the Great Dane part, but if its just a key way about 1 dollar to fix it yourself If its internal like a damaged crankshaft it can be big $'s.

boilermaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree on the Great Dane part, but if its just a key way about 1 dollar to fix it yourself If its internal like a damaged crankshaft it can be big $'s.
I have sheared a few keys in the last50 years and i have found sometimes the crank shaft can be damaged right beside the key way. So just get some valve grinding paste and put a little dad on the crank and work the flywheel back and forth to smooth of the rough damaged area, checking often. You can tell by the dull places on the crank when its working. The crankshaft taper is what really holds the crank on, the key just establishes exactly where the flywheel goes for the ignition timing.When the crank right by the key is dull all the way, clean thoroughly and put in key and bolt down the flywheel and all should be good.