Dichondra Problems

ModernMode

Threads
Dichondra is trying to take over my yard. Is there anything that will kill it without harming my grass? (Please don't suggest 2-4D. My wife says it is banned in most countries due to causing cancer so she won't let me use it).
Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good luck... the only other method (other than a good broad leaf chemical) is mechanical removal... hand & knee removal... not going to be that pleasant...
If you can get your lawn grass very healthy it 'may' choke it out, but hand removal may be your only other choice...
I would have used 2-4D :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
Good luck... the only other method (other than a good broad leaf chemical) is mechanical removal... hand & knee removal... not going to be that pleasant...
If you can get your lawn grass very healthy it 'may' choke it out, but hand removal may be your only other choice...
I would have used 2-4D :smile:KennyV
Yea I would too

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your wife's assertions regarding 2,4-D, prompted me to do some research. I was unable to find anything conclusive to support either the banning or the health risks.
Although this does not mean it's safe by any stretch, I would like to know how she arrived at these conclusions, as I apply about a half a pint a year, taking reasonable precautions.
Perhaps if you and your wife were using the old fashion method of weed removal on a hot July afternoon, she may change her mindset about the use of this herbicide:rolleyes:.
It may be easier to use a non slective herbicide and re-seed or re-sod the affected area.

Have you considered atrazine?

Cherokee5975

Forum Newbie
Threads
Atrazine is a pesticide and in Tx you have to have a license to buy it. There is a product call Celsius that you can buy at a commercial herbiced dealer and it will get rid of dichondra along with a lot of other weeds. It is expensive but it works.

Cherokee5975

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dang it! My iPhone autocorrected me and I didn't catch it! Ok herbicide. You got me. Either way Celsius is a great product and it works.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dang it! My iPhone autocorrected me and I didn't catch it! Ok herbicide. You got me. Either way Celsius is a great product and it works.

Dam those Iphones:wink:! I just sprayed all of my fruit trees trying to kill the medflys.

ModernMode

Threads
We've been using Agrafab Crabgrass Killer. Safe for pets. Safe for some grass but not others. Works well on Dichondra. But its a fine powder so can only be used when there is no breeze at all. UPC: 0 17500 96002 4