DGT6000 Kohler Pro V-Twin 27hp top of engine oil leak??

RustyDGT6000

Threads
  • / DGT6000 Kohler Pro V-Twin 27hp top of engine oil leak??
Title pretty much says it all. Just looking for a jump off point before I start taking things apart! We have what seems to be an oil leak from the top side of the engine paired with some white smoke. My initial thought was the obvious "head gasket" but being my first V-Twin I didn't realize that these aren't actually on the top of the engine rather the sides/front. From what i've looked up it doesn't appear to be leaking from the locations where these 2 gaskets are. I've read about a "sump gasket" on some Kohler engines, but this seems to be at the bottom side of the engine, not the top.
I believe this is a model CV740S. I have cleaned it up several times and ran it and it definitely looks like the oil is coming from under the plastic shroud on top rather than where the heads are located. Are there any gaskets or anything else on the topside that could be leaking?

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / DGT6000 Kohler Pro V-Twin 27hp top of engine oil leak??
There are several leak points
1) top oil seal
2) breather valve cover
3) take off for impulse pump

Usually what happens is the head gaskets leak between the cylinder and the push rod tube
This puts excessive pressure into the crank case which causes a leak
Not a difficult job to pull the flywheel clean the top of the motor replace the flywheel the run the engine for 5 minutes without the blower housing on so you can see where it is leaking from
Five to 15 minutes without the blower housing should not hurt the engine , but the less time the better
If this is a problem then clean & dry the engine
Coat it liberally with talcum powder ( spray powder is good ) then replace all the bits run the engine for a few minutes then pull the covers off and look for oil soaking the powder .