DeWalt Z148 runs poor at times.

Mike69

Forum Newbie
Threads
My wife got a deal that we could not refuse on a clearance ZTR mower at her work place so we purchased it. It is a 2022 model DeWalt (made by MTD) Z148 48" cut 23 hp mower. I start it up & it runs fine as long as the blades are not engaged, once the blades are engaged it randomly will start to run poor & blow grayish/white smoke then clear up & run ok again for a while then act up again. I read on here that it could be a carb problem as the mower has the Kawasaki FR691V engine in it. I pulled the dip stick & it smells like gas & the oil is above the full line on the dip stick. I am going to change the oil & filter & check the float bowl for any contaminants & the float to make sure it is seating properly. That is all I can think of, any other ideas or suggestions?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nope you are on the right track
If it does not have one put a shut off tap in the fuel line before the pump
If for no ther reason than it makes carb work & filter changing easier
And this is not a substitute for cleaning the carb & replacing the float needle as they do wear out as well asg getting crud sticking them open.

Mike69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the response. I will try what I stated & report back.

Mike69

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, update, I removed the carb pulled the float bowl off & blew out all the passages with air & cleaned out a little dirt from the bowl & made sure the float was working properly. I cut the grass on our 1 acre lot & & mower ran flawlessly. Thanks bertsmobile1 I also added the fuel shut off like you suggested, I just have to remember to turn it on when I go to start the mower.