Define Successful

What is your idea of being a successful Lawn Care Operator? What kind of goals do you have for your business?

I don't know if anyone can answer that question. How would one define successful? You can't use money as a way to determine success nor equipment or the time a person spends each day in the field.

In the field you have all types of operators from the beginner, the guy that is trying to break into the business that automatically earns the name of Lowballer or a Hack, and god forbid he drives a Toyota pick with all his mowers and equipment in the back end, that makes all the so called professionals cringe. would you consider this guy successful?
Now lets Talk about the term Professional Lawn-Care operator. What makes a professional lawn-care operator????
2085d1306006534-humm-breaking-into-professional-lawn-care-business-i-dont-know-gif
Would it be he has a license or maybe he has a big Trailer with the name Professional on the side and charges inflated prices.
​
Maybe the fact he has $12,000 mowers and 50 or 60 thousand or more in overhead with a with every piece of equipment imaginable. would you consider this guy successful? .

How Do you measure success when the measuring stick is different for every Individual.
 
Last edited:
I think I would like to hear your definition of successful. I would guess we all have our own idea of what is looks like, but it does not mean that one would be right and the other wrong.
 
I think I would like to hear your definition of successful. I would guess we all have our own idea of what is looks like, but it does not mean that one would be right and the other wrong.
I think it is "money", but 5 years down the road, when a man is trusted and respected and earns a decent living...Its said, I this is true, that for the first year, a business should lose money, but at year 3, should break even...
A far as professionalism goes, its what most consumers state, and ones peers...
 
What is your idea of being a successful Lawn Care Operator? What kind of goals do you have for your business?

a simple way to get to the top of the ladder is one rung at a time. So, set several short term goals that are easily attainable, and you will get to the long term goal. and when your long term goal is met, you were successfull, no matter if it lawn care or anything else.:smile:
 
I think I would like to hear your definition of successful. I would guess we all have our own idea of what is looks like, but it does not mean that one would be right and the other wrong.


A definition of successful could be having a favorable outcome to anything a person is trying to do. The measuring stick is different for every Individual and Business. Now would I consider myself successful with my business? Only if I can pay my bills at the end of the month :laughing:
 
I agree with Ric - there are many measuring sticks that define successful.

I totally agree that a successful venture must have the ability to pay its bills at the end of the month!

However, I would go a step further and add that one's personal happiness and satisfaction at jobs well done and happy customers would be part of that.

There are two vital pieces to building a good reputation - not owing money to everyone in town AND having customers say great things about you. Reputation isn't everything, but it sure is important.
 
As previously mentioned, defining success is difficult because what may be successful to me is not successful to you. However if we look at the inverse of success, which is failure, we can better define failure as "one's inability to reach his goals, whatever they may be". So you see you'll have to set your own goals and attempt to reach them. When you reach them, you have achieved success but then you have to raise the bar and set even higher goals and this my friend is what keeps the successful people successful. Don't compare yourself to any other individual or business. Concentrate on becoming the best you can be and don't get complacent.
 
I am not in the lawncare business, But a friend of mine from a long time ago was and still is, he started as a 12 y/o pushing the family mower to houses up and down his street, by the time he could drive he bought the family station wagon from his parents with cash and kept growing his business, he put himself through college, his little brother as well. I dont know how many houses his company mows today, but I can tell you he looks successful to me. But it started by making his customers happy and gaining their repeat business. I consider him very successful. in your business work ethic and willingness to make sure the job is done right is everything. I dont use my friends service, but I always recommend him.
 
As previously mentioned, defining success is difficult because what may be successful to me is not successful to you. However if we look at the inverse of success, which is failure, we can better define failure as "one's inability to reach his goals, whatever they may be". So you see you'll have to set your own goals and attempt to reach them. When you reach them, you have achieved success but then you have to raise the bar and set even higher goals and this my friend is what keeps the successful people successful. Don't compare yourself to any other individual or business. Concentrate on becoming the best you can be and don't get complacent.


Setting goals for your business is fine but when you reach those goals you say you've reached success but then you raise the bar even higher but be careful about extending those goals further. To many people in the lawn business do exactly what you've said, Raise the bar.

Raising the bar means more clients and more work load, it also means more equipment and employing people/adding crews and so on. The next thing you know you have a lawn business that has over extended it self and has more overhead than income.... a prescription for failure. Raising the Bar is Risky Business
 
Back
Top