Deere x520 mower height adjustment

kirkbrit

Threads
Brand new to this community and in deep need of help

Just got a 2007 with 500 hours. I am totally unable to raise and lower the cutting height. The blades are scalping my lawn and I am forced to lock it in the raised position to do any mowing. What has gone wrong?

pile81

Threads
Dosent it have a dial right in between your feet in front of the seat to set the height? If so you push the lift pedal turn that dial to desired height and let off the pedal......

kirkbrit

Threads
I guess I didn't make my self clear. I depress the left pedal, pull the lock up into position, turn the wheel....it free spins either direction, and when I unlock and lower the deck it goes all the way down. I've only tried this 20-30 times and I have no control over the deck height. The "wheel" you reference does nothing, zip, nada, nil, zero adjusting.

My post is about what might be amiss. Thanks for the reply none the less.

pile81

Threads
Gotcha, let do some looking and see what I can come up with

kirkbrit

Threads
I'm trying to avoid removing the deck if at all possible. I just don't know what that 4 inch or so knob is actually supposed to do. I am hoping someone can inform me.

BBO

Threads
I'm trying to avoid removing the deck if at all possible. I just don't know what that 4 inch or so knob is actually supposed to do. I am hoping someone can inform me.

Go here.
John Deere - Parts Catalog

Search for the x520.
Look at section 83, 84 or 85. Find the lift pedal and linkage.
You will need to remove something to find what has came loose or broken.
Something in the linkage if off.

kirkbrit

Threads
Thanks, JUST what the Dr ordered!

kirkbrit

Threads
BBO,
Actually I have been on the link you sent for the past 5 days absorbing it all in. :laughing:

The link showed my a near limitless number of potential reasons for the porblem and getting a new starter in my 317 has been a priority. I just lock the deck in the up position and get along well enough until I get chains and new guide wheels, part of the reason I was scalping as 3 are shot. I was quite upset when I learned the DAPO swapped out the tires and I feared he had gone to smaller wheels but not so and I can live with what I have now. Thanks very much for the parts list I know, with 4 Deere L&G tractors I will make good use of it.