Deere F525 transmission locked up

dharma48

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi.

About 5 years ago I purchased a John Deere F525 front deck mower and used it consistently every mowing season until it would jerk erratically going forward until it eventually just stopped. The motor would continue running but pressing forward or reverse would just result in a loud hum from the transmission. I tried the release button on top of the transmission that previously allowed the unit to free-wheel, but the wheels are locked. The mower only has 475 hours on it and I believe it to be an early model as the deck is 46 and the front caster wheels are entirely plastic.

From some research it seems that the problem involves the bearing(s) on the engine output shaft. My question is, have any of you encountered this problem over the years? I really hate to lose this mower as it is so valuable with my large yard and its great maneuverability makes trimming a snap.

Thanks in advance!

mac

Threads
Unfortunately, the transmission and engine are one integrated assembly. I've been told that they are unrepairable. And very expensive to replace, if you even find one. Sorry:frown: