Deck Sways on Husqvarna YTA 18542

anointedrj

Forum Newbie
Threads
I downsized from a Husqvarna YTH 2448 to a YTA 18542. The mower was barely used with less than 20 hrs. I noticed that the deck seems to have a lot of sway. It will swing a good 2 inches left to right. My other mower had a sway bar, this one does not. I have not tried to make any adjustments yet. I'm hoping I can find someone who can tell me if the deck should have that much sway. I've checked parts list from several sources and cannot find anything that prevents the mower deck from swinging. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes it is pretty well normal on that mower deck setup and just not a whole lot can be done to lessen it either. A very cheap design by Husqvarna. All you really can do is to look component wear and maybe even try bending the two flat metal suspension arms. But this is a full floating deck.

anointedrj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it is pretty well normal on that mower deck setup and just not a whole lot can be done to lessen it either. A very cheap design by Husqvarna. All you really can do is to look component wear and maybe even try bending the two flat metal suspension arms. But this is a full floating deck.

I thought about using existing brackets mounted to the chassis and thread "wire ties" through the brackets and into existing holes in the deck. One on each side may restrict some of the movement. They could easily be cut when removing the deck and would not restrict up and down movement for grass height settings.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep it is called CHEAPNESS .
If this is your deck
   YTA18542.jpg

Check the straps , part # 6 usually the holes are flogged out oval at both ends .
Weld some tube on the end where bolt # 19 passes through and use longer bolts with a sleeve so you can tighten them without clamping the plate , it has to be able to rotate .
on the frame end cut some thicker and substantially bigger washers to fit over the pins on the other end of # 6 where it attaches to the frame with the bow tie clips

anointedrj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. It is a lightweight design - I know. The front wheels stabilize the deck some but I know that prolonged lateral movement will weaken the structure. I'm going to order new straps anyway and look at maybe attaching something to the straps to strengthen and reduce movement. More importantly though, I feel something is needed in the front (where normally there would be a sway bar), that area is weak with only one bar (plus two wheels) supporting the deck.

Thanks for your response.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Considering one my customer is very rough his mower with this deck it does seem to holding fairly; although, some of the rocks he has hit has bent blades and broke a spindle after hitting a plow point. Not considering it is a 2015 unit. I had more problems with the NZTR steering than anything less but his is not the same model as posted which has the standard steering setup.