Deck Problem!

Tomster

Threads
So this is what happens after 400 hours in a sandy area! Looks like I'll be making some repairs.IMG_2919.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What do the blades look like? I’ll bet they’re shot.

Tomster

Threads
What do the blades look like? I’ll bet they’re shot.
I buy blades 12 at a time from Ebay. I go through probably 8 sets a year easily. I get a mowing or two out of them and then they get sharpened. I will sharpen them once or twice before they are too far gone to use.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That looks like something slashing the deck
This problem usually happens when a blade is badly bent and often associated with a fractured spindle housing and or collapsed bearings the allows the blades to tilt & strike the deck .

Tomster

Threads
That looks like something slashing the deck
This problem usually happens when a blade is badly bent and often associated with a fractured spindle housing and or collapsed bearings the allows the blades to tilt & strike the deck .
Look a little closer at the photo and you will see other places where it looks raised. This is all from the deck being blasted by sand and eventually wearing completely through. I am in the process of adding sheet metal to the underside to prevent this from getting worse. Eventually I will have to find a replacement deck.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
@Tomster
When you get it repaired, you may want to try flat blades or medium lift blades. High lift blades aid in the sandblasting.

Tomster

Threads
@Tomster
When you get it repaired, you may want to try flat blades or medium lift blades. High lift blades aid in the sandblasting.
Agreed, but it is difficult to find them anywhere. I have used medium lift blades before don't have a good source.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the link, but there is not an option for a medium or low lift blade for my 54" deck.
Yeah, there aren’t a lot of blade options for a 54” deck. I experienced the same problem when I had a 54” Toro.