Deck holding grass

mcartwright865

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a 2014 FasTrack 54 with 330 hrs. It has always packed the deck with grass when mowing and when it gets enough, it pukes it out in one big wad. I've always heard this was due to a poor deck/baffle design. Are there any fixes for this? I'm tired of having mounds of clippings all over my yard. Did the newer decks address this issue? Would a new deck of any manufacture fit my mower? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Six things will cause clumping under a deck.
1. Not running the engine at full speed while cutting.
2. Try to cut with the deck set too low. Should be cutting no more than 1/3 of the grass height.
3. Grass is too long, see #2.
4. Cutting grass wet.
5. Dull blades or worn blades which will not lift the grass properly.
6. Worn deck drive belt. If belt is worn it may be slipping, not allowing blades to turn at proper speed.

mcartwright865

Forum Newbie
Threads
2. Try to cut with the deck set too low. Should be cutting no more than 1/3 of the grass height.
4. Cutting grass wet.
6. Worn deck drive belt. If belt is worn it may be slipping, not allowing blades to turn at proper speed.
1. I always run at full throttle.
2. I cut with my deck set at 3"
3. I typically mow every week
4. I rarely mow in the morning. Typically I wait until 6p or later.
5. I have my mower serviced at the end of every season. LOF, blades sharpened and whatever else is needed. I average about 35-40 hours a season (2014, 325hrs)
6. This is the only thing I would be unsure of. However, I give the shop pretty much free rein on service/repairs.
It has done this for years. Gator blades, high lift or mulching doesn't seem to make a difference.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can’t see the your grass height so don’t know how much you are taking off when mowing . Should be no more than 1/3 of the grass height. Grass is 6”, height should be set at 4”. Two things I would try. First raise your cutting height to 3.5” or 4” and see if it makes a difference. Does it still clump and does the sound coming from the deck seem to be louder? If it sounds louder the blades are moving faster. Second would be to check the deck belt for proper tension and if it is worn. If it is more than three years old I would replace it. Finally, if you are able to do so, check to see if the underside of the deck is clean. If grass is building up under the deck it will not allow the clippings to be thrown out properly.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
4. Cutting grass wet.
You missed a couple.
Deck leveled properly.
Use high lift blades. Gator style blades will make a mess.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
5. I have my mower serviced at the end of every season. LOF, blades sharpened and whatever else is needed. I average about 35-40 hours a season (2014, 325hrs)
6. This is the only thing I would be unsure of. However, I give the shop pretty much free rein on service/repairs.
It has done this for years. Gator blades, high lift or mulching doesn't seem to make a difference.
I replied before I saw yours.
Try leveling the deck properly. You want it level from side to side and 1/8” to 1/4” higher in the rear. Use OEM or equivalent high lift blades. Rotary #11856.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I love Gator blades and run them all year.
3” is very short, try at least 3.5” and preferably 4”.
If you have an exit chute, bungee cord it up at a 45 degree angle and throw the grass out as far as it will go.

GearHead36

Threads
Sounds like you're not getting proper airflow through your deck. This could be caused by:
- Slipping belt
- Engine running too slow (even if you run at full throttle)
- Deck clogged with grass
- Mulching blades
- Bound up spindle(s)

To all the experts: Is there a way to measure the RPMs of each blade? That would tell a lot.

You didn't mention how high your grass gets before mowing. I mow at 3" every week, but my grass doesn't grow all that fast. What kind of grass do you have?

bkeller500

Threads
A thick growth may also be a concern as a tall growth. Thick grass will slow blade speed and may be clogging the deck due to the additional amount of cuttings. I would also test a normal set of cutting blades vs hi-lift blades. I realize hi-lift blades will cause the grass to lift better but I question whether hi-lift blades will discharge better. You want the grass to be cut and a fast exit from the deck. Too much lift might be also retaining the clippings for too long. There is a reason most mower manufacturers do not ship units with hi-lift blades installed at factory. Ground speed could be a factor. Driving too fast and you are not allowing thigh deck to do it's job. Another approach is to mow twice a week and see if you have better results. My lawn is thick and In the Spring I need to mow my KB lawn every 3-4 days. If I wait a full week I get some clumping and occasional windrowing and double cutting becomes necessary to re-spread the clippings. I doubt you are driving in a circle and driving over an accumulation of cut grass thus compounding your problem. Lastly, you may need to scrape the deck after each mowing to release all of the accumulation and have a totally empty deck to start the next mowing session.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A thick growth may also be a concern as a tall growth. Thick grass will slow blade speed and may be clogging the deck due to the additional amount of cuttings. I would also test a normal set of cutting blades vs hi-lift blades. I realize hi-lift blades will cause the grass to lift better but I question whether hi-lift blades will discharge better. You want the grass to be cut and a fast exit from the deck. Too much lift might be also retaining the clippings for too long. There is a reason most mower manufacturers do not ship units with hi-lift blades installed at factory. Ground speed could be a factor. Driving too fast and you are not allowing thigh deck to do it's job. Another approach is to mow twice a week and see if you have better results. My lawn is thick and In the Spring I need to mow my KB lawn every 3-4 days. If I wait a full week I get some clumping and occasional windrowing and double cutting becomes necessary to re-spread the clippings. I doubt you are driving in a circle and driving over an accumulation of cut grass thus compounding your problem. Lastly, you may need to scrape the deck after each mowing to release all of the accumulation and have a totally empty deck to start the next mowing session.
Questioning high lift blades to discharge better. I have personal experience that they can actually cause deck clogging. Sold a set of extra high lift to a customer years ago, and he ran them about 10 minutes before putting his old blades back on because they turned his deck into a mulcher and clogging and clumping within feet of turning on the deck..