Deck Clutch Switch - Raptor 52"

Sturno

Threads
Bought 2 different 30 amp relays and got home. Swapped out one with same tab configuration (didn't have ones from machine with me) and I start her up, engage deck and it dies. Looking closer, the Excel relays show 50A / 30A on them both. Part # 601053. Can't attach pics, as I'm on my phone out here in the sticks.

Call dealer's parts and service who I can swing by on way home tomorrow...he agrees on trying the 2 relays. Told him to just ring me up 2 of these at the $5 and change they were each and I'll swap them both out and give it a whirl.

Side note, my Raptor did not come equipped with pigtail harness for the hour meter either, so I will be tying into an ignition feed and a ground and making my own connections for that too. My machine seems like a dinosaur for 3 years old, I tell ya.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have a few questions which need to be answered. Bert asked for the model and serial number for your unit, would you please post for us? Are you sure the wiring schematic you posted is for your unit? How many wirings are in the connector going into the PTO switch? Please provide answers to each of these and then we can give you suggestions as to how to proceed. Without them we can only guess, which to a tech is not what we hate to do. We analysis with facts, not assumptions.

Sturno

Threads
Model 931899

Ignition has 2 reds, an orange, a black and a brown wire coming up to the panel.

PTO has 2 orange, an orange with a red stripe, and a tan/flesh colored wire coming to the circuit head.

Just got new relays and installing now.

(Update: relays in - no change)

Service head says its got to be narrowed down to the clutch wire harness down below or more likely the clutch itself. Damn.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm inclined to look at the wiring in the PTO curcuit as the problem, not the clutch. If the switch was working properly, when you push the button it should shut off power to the clutch, releasing it. Something is send power to the clutch after the switch is opened. I think you replaced the switch, which would then lead me to tear open the wiring harness and follow each wire through each component, looking for nicks, cuts bad connections, etc. I know that this is not easy and a VOM or a voltage reading test light will help. Long slow tedious task. To tell you the truth, this is a problem I like to work on, because it makes you use every skill in the tool box to solve. Customers hate it, because they think there is a magic tool in my box, which will allow me to diagnosis the problem in 5 minutes. You best tool is make NO assumptions. Test and verify everything twice, don't forget the safety switches, then move on.

Sturno

Threads
I'm inclined to look at the wiring in the PTO curcuit as the problem, not the clutch. If the switch was working properly, when you push the button it should shut off power to the clutch, releasing it. Something is send power to the clutch after the switch is opened. I think you replaced the switch, which would then lead me to tear open the wiring harness and follow each wire through each component, looking for nicks, cuts bad connections, etc. I know that this is not easy and a VOM or a voltage reading test light will help. Long slow tedious task. To tell you the truth, this is a problem I like to work on, because it makes you use every skill in the tool box to solve. Customers hate it, because they think there is a magic tool in my box, which will allow me to diagnosis the problem in 5 minutes. You best tool is make NO assumptions. Test and verify everything twice, don't forget the safety switches, then move on.

I will do just that, but it will not happen for at least 7-10 days with all the irons I have in the fire over the next week. Stay tuned and thanks.

SRS

Forum Newbie
Threads

Not to hijack this thread but my issue with the Raptor SD is I pull up the PTO switch to engage, mower works fine for 10-15 minutes then blades stop turning. Up and down on PTO switch, no go. Problem just started at 65 hours. Tested PTO switch with ohm meter and shows good. Might switch out the two relays. I hate these wiring gremlins Rivets but give you a lot of credit for trying to help here. Stanley

Sturno

Threads
Not to hijack this thread but my issue with the Raptor SD is I pull up the PTO switch to engage, mower works fine for 10-15 minutes then blades stop turning. Up and down on PTO switch, no go. Problem just started at 65 hours. Tested PTO switch with ohm meter and shows good. Might switch out the two relays. I hate these wiring gremlins Rivets but give you a lot of credit for trying to help here. Stanley

Switched out my relays to no avail....as you probably read. The good part is - they aren't expensive. Good luck. I am hoping to get around to narrowing down my issues this coming weekend.

SRS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Switched out my relays to no avail....as you probably read. The good part is - they aren't expensive. Good luck. I am hoping to get around to narrowing down my issues this coming weekend.

This stuff is crazy. Gotta be a loose connection somewhere. Weird. Have a good day. Stanley

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
SRS, you have a totally different problem and should have started a new thread. Please do so, because trying to help on this thread is going to confuse everyone. Sorry, I won't post any possible solutions here, as it will be a nightmare in no time.