Mower deck deck belt for 917.273022

gmajody

Forum Newbie
Threads
We need to find a deck belt for our mower but we are beginning to think it is a 'Johnny Cash' mower - came out of the factory one piece at a time.
The model number on our tractor is 917.273022.
The chute cover on the mower deck says 46 inch but the diagram sticker on the deck says 48 inch.

I bought a part # 144995 belt - 1/2" X 95" - but it doesn't fit and I can't find anything that will tell me what I would need for a 48 inch.
Any ideas?

Thanks

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
We need to find a deck belt for our mower but we are beginning to think it is a 'Johnny Cash' mower - came out of the factory one piece at a time.
The model number on our tractor is 917.273022.
The chute cover on the mower deck says 46 inch but the diagram sticker on the deck says 48 inch.

I bought a part # 144995 belt - 1/2" X 95" - but it doesn't fit and I can't find anything that will tell me what I would need for a 48 inch.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Are you sure that is the wrong belt? You routed it correctly when you tried it?

Trial and error....try longer or shorter till it fits.

Take old belt to store...they have a gauge that measures how long it is.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First you have to figure out the size of the deck. This is not that hard to do. Measure the three blades and add them together. If the total is under 48" but over 46", you have a 48" deck. If the total is under 46", you have a 46" deck. Now that you have that figured out, let's look at the belt. Your model number says you havea 46" unit, so I am using that for part numbers. There are two belts which make the deck work properly, a primary and a secondary. The primary belt number is 148763 and the secondary belt number is 144959. Now I have to ask which belt might you be in need of, primary or secondary??? The primary goes from the electric clutch on the engine, to three pulleys on the deck. The secondary is only on the deck and stretches between 4 pulleys. If you have a 48" deck, then I know you bought it used, and someone switched decks on you to make life difficult. Your of solution then is the trial and error method. Finally, the part number you posted for the belt you bought is not a good number. I am including an owners manual, which you should have been using to get part numbers.

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/pd_download/lis_pdf/OWNM/98100097.pdf

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you still have the old belt then measure it.
USA belts are sized by the outside length and the width at the back.

If not.
Get a length of 1/2" rope.
Run it around all the pulleys and pull it tight,
Mark where the end of the belt touches back on the belt remove & measure.

You can then check the lengths of the 46" and 48" deck belts against your measured belt length.
The closest belt to your measured length will be what you are looking for.