danl1950

hntrsr

Threads
Hello,I have a Honda GX620 that has very,very little spark at the plug.I took the machine(board edger)to a small engine mechanic and he told me that both coils were bad so I bought 2 new coils,installed them and shazam,I've got the same problem.I've unpluged the kill wires and nothing changes.Anyone have any suggestions for this shade-tree mechanic?

The ground for the two coils are thru the diode engine stop(kill switch). Robert@Honda, he needs the test for the kill switch

danl1950

Threads
The GX620 had a number of different coils, ignition, charging, etc., and they were subject to some running changes. Early GX620's had different left and right coils (different part numbers), and later models shared the same part number/coil.

If you could get me the serial number off the side of the engine block, I could narrow it down a bit more. It's in the form of: "GCAD-1234567"

gx620serialnumber_zps1dc95f0a.jpg

I'll get the number tomorrow,I've seen it but haven't written it down.Kinda strange though,they ran on the appropriate sides for several years,then they quit,but they'll fire on the opposite side.The new coils have different part numbers printed on them,the old ones have different numbers stamped in them.Both new and old coils are different colors,gray for the left side and black for the right side.Thank you for helping with my problem.Dan

danl1950

Threads
The ground for the two coils are thru the diode engine stop(kill switch). Robert@Honda, he needs the test for the kill switch

I understand how the kill wire is grounded to kill the engine,but for the coils to fire they are grounded to the engine block,right?After I put the left side coil on the right side of the engine and the right side coil on the left side of the engine it ran fine.I just don't understand these coils quit working on the side they'd been on for years but will work on the opposite side of the engine.Polarity maybe?

hntrsr

Threads
I understand how the kill wire is grounded to kill the engine,but for the coils to fire they are grounded to the engine block,right?After I put the left side coil on the right side of the engine and the right side coil on the left side of the engine it ran fine.I just don't understand these coils quit working on the side they'd been on for years but will work on the opposite side of the engine.Polarity maybe?

I do not have a schematic in front of me but from the test you have done I think the diode engine stop(kill switch) has circuit in it equivalent to the old breaker points. I would also check the ground on thediode engine stop(kill switch).
Thanks,
Bobby

danl1950

Threads
The GX620 had a number of different coils, ignition, charging, etc., and they were subject to some running changes. Early GX620's had different left and right coils (different part numbers), and later models shared the same part number/coil.

If you could get me the serial number off the side of the engine block, I could narrow it down a bit more. It's in the form of: "GCAD-1234567"

gx620serialnumber_zps1dc95f0a.jpg

Finally remembered to get the number,got too many irons in the fire.There's 3 letters and a star above the serial number,they are,QDF*.The serial number is GCAD 2017531.Sorry it took so long.Got a question,is it possible that the magnet in the flywheel changed polarity?Both old and new coils wouldn't work in their proper places,but turn them around backwards by putting them on the wrong side and they work.Just a thought I had.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Finally remembered to get the number,got too many irons in the fire.There's 3 letters and a star above the serial number,they are,QDF*.The serial number is GCAD 2017531.Sorry it took so long.Got a question,is it possible that the magnet in the flywheel changed polarity?Both old and new coils wouldn't work in their proper places,but turn them around backwards by putting them on the wrong side and they work.Just a thought I had.

Magnets rarely fail, and I've never heard of one reversing its polarity.

A few bits that might help:

The serial number on this engine designates it as a "K1" engine, which is a later production model. K1 engines do indeed have different coils. First, be sure we're oriented on the correct side of the engine. Left and Right are as viewed from the fan/flywheel side, NOT the crankshaft/PTO side.

The left coil is gray, and has an 8.5 inch spark plug lead. The right coil is black, and has a 7.9 inch lead. The are not interchangeable or reversible.

When checking the coils (resistance check) you must remove the spark plug cap; leaving it on will give an incorrect measurement.

For the engine stop diode, here's an inspection procedure from the shop manual:

gx620k1enginestopdiode_zpsf94ff78a.jpg

danl1950

Threads
Magnets rarely fail, and I've never heard of one reversing its polarity.

A few bits that might help:

The serial number on this engine designates it as a "K1" engine, which is a later production model. K1 engines do indeed have different coils. First, be sure we're oriented on the correct side of the engine. Left and Right are as viewed from the fan/flywheel side, NOT the crankshaft/PTO side.

The left coil is gray, and has an 8.5 inch spark plug lead. The right coil is black, and has a 7.9 inch lead. The are not interchangeable or reversible.

When checking the coils (resistance check) you must remove the spark plug cap; leaving it on will give an incorrect measurement.

For the engine stop diode, here's an inspection procedure from the shop manual:

gx620k1enginestopdiode_zpsf94ff78a.jpg
I've often wondered about the right and left side of an engine,thanks for the clarification.The coils are gray for left and black for right,the new ones were marked,the old ones weren't,that's why I marked them so I'd remember.So when the new coils came in and I saw they were marked L & R,I assumed the engine was viewed left and right from the pto end of the engine because the old gray coil was on the left side viewed from the pto end.I don't know what is going on,one day it was running fine and the next it wasn't and in the end I had put the coils on the opposite side and they're working.The engine is running and that's what counts and now I had a set of brand new coils that I didn't need.When I checked the resistance in the coils I didn't take the cap off the wire so that's the reason my reading was so far off.Anyway,I sure appreciate you taking the time to help me on this thing.Take care and God bless.Dan