Dad's First Used Dunlap Mower

platefire

Threads
I was about 6 years old when he brought this mower home in the mid 50's. Our mower prior to that
was a manual(non=powered) push rotary Reel mower. I remember being very much enthused with
the Dunlap but I was too young to operate it. I don't recall it being run very much. I think Dad had a hard time
keeping it running. It was such a weird looking thing its image is ever planted on my brain.

So I was thinking about that mower yesterday and decided to do an internet search. In about 30 minutes
low and behold I found it. Not the right color but same lawn mower. I think the color of the deck was a
silvery gray as I recall. I know I wanted to see it run but didn't no what to do. Obviously two cycle

Dunlop 1a.jpegDunlop 2a.jpegDunlop 3a.jpegDunlop 4a.jpeg

Last edited:

platefire

Threads
I thought so myself! It's about as basic as you can get and still be a gas power mower. Instead of having an engine shroud that extended over the cylinder, it just has a cooling wheel with some tilted blades.

I've been looking at all sorts of vintage mowers on the net lately and fascinated with the monstrosities that came down the pike. My Grandpa always had one of those powered reel blade mowers that are not made anymore, that I know of. He also had a walk behind garden tractor with a detachable trailer. When we visited he would hook the trailer up to the tractor, turn it over to me and I would ride it all over the place.