D160 not cutting very well

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
This link takes a little long to load. Look on page #23. Your particular engine is not listed. The reason for that is John Deere has a special model number for their Briggs supplied engines.

From your link: "horsepower values are derived at 3600 RPM." As a matter of fact, it states that under all the twins and some singles. So maybe 3600 ain't as bad as it sounds.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
yes, DO NOT raise the rpms to 3600. I will debate anyone who recommends this! You will blow your engine. That rpm is too fast for the oil to provide adequate lubrication on the aluminum connecting rods against a steel crankshaft, not to mention cam lobes, pushrods, and valve spring abuse from over-revving. Ask me how I know! Something about zinc, but I digress. I'm glad you decided to keep it around 3350. Good luck. I hope that fixes it for you.
I agree that you should run an engine at the recommended RPM but back in the day of stock class WKA go cart racing we took the governor gear out if 5HP briggs engines and ran them for a full season at 6000 RPM with stock everthing except the oul dipper as the stock one would break. The one thing that wore was the valve guides. When i built engines i double stacked brass guides to help that. Piston, cylinder and rod wear was not an issue at 6000RPM. The local track ran a kiddie class with 3HP engines that had a plastic lobed cam. Ran those at 6000RPM too with no issue. The 5HP engine would blow the rod around 6500 and the 3HP would blow around 7000. I doubt 3600 will cause accelerated wear.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have no doubt that you will have the engine running as it should and the cut quality will improve, as a result.