D160 not cutting very well

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
JD D160
Briggs 44S977-0026G1

Customer complains that she's having to go over most of her yard twice. I got it here to the shop and started mowing and she's right. After mowing a few stretches, and it looks almost like when you mow in reverse.
So I sharpened the blades, leveled the deck, and it's better, but still not cutting like it's got freshly sharp blades on it.

Belt is good. Pulley's are good. PTO seems to be engaging fine. Fast idle of the engine (briggs twin) is 3130 rpms on both sides. Engine sounds and runs fine. I didn't have any tall grass to see if it would bog down too easily, but what I cut was a couple of inches taller than the deck level. There was on place where a mower had been sitting for a few weeks that was pretty tall. Not real thick grass, and about 10" to 12" tall, I had to go over it twice too.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never found the tractor style units to cut well either. Not a purpose built mower. Trying to be a one stop shop for farmers. Pull a cart, cut some grass super machine.

Tires aired up proper? Use Oregon or OEM blades. After that, you are at the mercy of the deck design or lack of.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
What blades are on it?

These kind. Not of sure the brand. I told the customer we could switch to the high lift brands come spring.
1663802721504.png

One thing I did notice, is that the grass chute lays very close to the ground. So that could reduce a lot of upward air flow. But I've never had a customer day the blade (above) did a poor job of cutting grass.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IS the deck open ?
Most gator style blades do not give a good cut if the deck has a mulch plug over the discharge chute
After that some blades just don't work with some decks
On the 42" EDGE decks we get down here, the Copperheads that Rotary supply are the only toothed blade that will cut properly
IFF it had the dedicated JD mulching deck then nothing will cut properly other than the JD mulching blades and if it is the timed deck with overlapping blades the blades are handed despite being identical, ( found that out the hard way ) .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it have a mulching plug or is it side discharge? Contrary to what most homeowners think gator type blades are not mulching blades. If side discharge you might try some high lift blades.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
IS the deck open ?
Most gator style blades do not give a good cut if the deck has a mulch plug over the discharge chute
After that some blades just don't work with some decks
On the 42" EDGE decks we get down here, the Copperheads that Rotary supply are the only toothed blade that will cut properly
IFF it had the dedicated JD mulching deck then nothing will cut properly other than the JD mulching blades and if it is the timed deck with overlapping blades the blades are handed despite being identical, ( found that out the hard way ) .

The deck is open. But the chute hangs low to the ground. Like almost touching the grass that's just been mowed.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would have to say those blades aren’t producing enough lift. RPMs are a little low. Is the deck leveled properly? Are there any holes sandblasted into the deck top? Installing GX21785 high lift blades will improve the cut. The GX21786 mulching blades will work also. I’m not sure if Rotary or Stens makes a high lift for the JD D160. Stens does make a direct replacement mulching blade. Rotary #11595 is 17” x 7 point star pattern hole.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would have to say those blades aren’t producing enough lift. RPMs are a little low. Is the deck leveled properly? Are there any holes sandblasted into the deck top? Installing GX21785 high lift blades will improve the cut. The GX21786 mulching blades will work also. I’m not sure if Rotary or Stens makes a high lift for the JD D160. Stens does make a direct replacement mulching blade. Rotary #11595 is 17” x 7 point star pattern hole.

That's the only thing I can figure too. Also, tomorrow, I may try raising the chute, just to see if I can get a little more air flow. She want to wait til spring for the high lift blades. She likes those gator blade for leaves.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's the only thing I can figure too. Also, tomorrow, I may try raising the chute, just to see if I can get a little more air flow. She want to wait til spring for the high lift blades. She likes those gator blade for leaves.
I can understand liking the Gator type blades for leaves. A deck leveling adjustment and raising the RPMs will help some.