D110 lost power and stalled mid-mow. starter Hot

DDO63

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a D110 that was given about 6 years ago, besides regular maintenance, belts and a couple of batteries I haven't had any issues.

Today the mower lost power and stalled mid mow. Started normally and ran fine for about an hour then lost power and stalled. At first I though I might have run out of fuel but that wasn't the case.
I tried to restart and it cranked slowly and when it did start it ran just over an idle even with the throttle wide open. I put the mower in the garage and put it on a trickle charger, later when I checked on it the engine was cool but the start was still very warm.
I disconnect the battery from the mower but left the battery on the trickle charge. I checked the starter later and it was cool to the touch.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
cranking slow with a fully charged battery is a worry
What were you mowing when it started to run slow ?
Were you mowing across a slope ?
Sounds more like a partial seizure to me
IF so as it is still running you could probably clean up the crankshaft and carry on but the more you rotate the engine the more damage you will be doing

DDO63

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was mowing on a slight slope, everything seemed normal until the engine slowed and seemed like it was running out of fuel.
I checked the fuel and there was plenty. When I tried to start it, the engine would start but only barely and did not respond to any throttle inputs and it would stall.
I left the mower on a trickle charger and finished some chores and when I checked the mower the engine was cool but the starter was hot.
I disconnected the battery and left the charger on the battery, went back an hour later and the starter was cool.

Haven't tried to start it until I have an idea of what is going on.

The engine spins.....

DDO63

Forum Newbie
Threads
Problem Found and Solved.

After some reading, I decided to check the valve adjustment. I removed the valve cover and noticed that the intake valve rocker was VERY loose. I tried to adjust BUT in order to properly set the valve clearance it adjuster not had to be bottomed out. I then notice that the post that the adjuster nut is screwed into and supports that rocker had backed out about 1/4 inch. I tightened the post with a deep well socket and then set the valves.

Runs like a champ.....

DDO63

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower only had 126 hours on it....
I will check this every oil change...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You won't find this in the published service manual but those studs are installed and torqued to 150 in/lbs [17 nM] per my in house a copy [modified] of the service manual. I use blue Loctite for extra insurance.

Last edited:

DDO63

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks