D105 moves very slow

popsthemachinist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have a 2011 D105 with about 130 hours on it. I replaced the variator assembly with the problematic washer. My washer wore completely through and the spring broke. I dropped the transmission, replaced the assembly, cleaned everything out well and reassembled.
Everything started up and worked just fine, except it feels like it is stuck in granny gear. Forward suddenly goes very slow. I took apart and reassembled two more times and I cannot see anything not working correctly. The belts seem fine, all parts move fine, shifts from fwd to neutral to reverse fine. It just goes really slow. Any ideas on what could have caused this? It drove fine and as fast as it ever did until I changed the variator.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Think of the system as a tug-o-war between the top ( rear-- slow ) belt and the lower ( front fast ) belt.
If the tension in the bottom belt is greater than the top you go fast
If it is lower, you go slow
So in your case either there is too much tension in the top or you are not getting enough tension in the bottom
Apart from fitting the wrong belts or routing the lower belt wrong, the things that a lot of my customer do is mount the tension springs to the wrong places

popsthemachinist

Forum Newbie
Threads
What you say makes sense but I don't notice anything like a tensioner. I only took the lower short belt off so that I could replace the variator. The upper belt was not removed. I never saw any type of tensioner. When I hear tensioner I'm thinking of what you'd see when you replace an alternator on the car. On the D105 the belts simply come on and off as far as I could tell. Where would the tension spring be?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry,
I should have checked before replying as I was thinking of a different set up so Ignore it

You appear to have General Transmission RT box
In that case the Tug-o-war is between the variator arm and the spring on the driven pulley
So the first question is dose the speed controller move freely
take the spring off the driven pulley and work the variator control to check that the sliding sheave is actually sliding up & down freely.

legotech7

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having the same issue. So when you say the variator arm and the spring on the driven pulley, so where is the speed controller ? I think we might need a visual of what your trying to explain. If there is anyway you can draw a diagram, cause I'm scratching my head on this one... Thanks..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the deck off and get underneath
Watch the drive belt while some one else pushes the go pedal.
The go pedal puts more tension on the belt which causes the sides of the variator pulley to move apart thus making the effective pulley diameter small so the shaft spind faster so you go faster .
These systems are very sensitive to the belt and the usual reason they fail is cheap owners fitting standard section belts .

legotech7

Forum Newbie
Threads
There has to be a diagram that can explain this a bit better. I can't seem to find anything from john deere.....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes there is a fabulous book that describes in detail and very plain loanguage exactly how it works, why it works why it does not work, how to test it and how to fix it
It is called the J D Technical manual and you buy it from JD directly
However buying manuals seems to contradict the religious beliefs of 99% of Americans.
So buy the book , fix your mower then go mow the grounds of a couple of local churches for absolution of your sinful purchase