Cylinder wall gouge. Usable?

sofasurfer

Threads
Briggs & Stratton Model # 135212.
Seized the engine. I think the piston can be cleaned up. The rings are ok. Looks like the metal came off the cylinder wall and attached to the piston. If I can not hone the wall all the way to remove the gouge do you think it can stlll run with some gouge left in the wall? This is from a chipper. Heres the pics...

Attachments

• editDSC00113.JPG
    editDSC00113.JPG
    827.1 KB · Views: 12
  • editDSC00114.JPG
    editDSC00114.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 12
  • editDSC00115.JPG
    editDSC00115.JPG
    882.2 KB · Views: 12

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The simple answer is NO. Best case is it will use oil and smoke very heavily. Worst case is the running clearances will not be right and will seize again.

OldNoob

Threads
I have limited knowledge.. but from looking at the photos i would say even though you have cylinder and piston damage i would bet that there is a problem in the crank case as well. Possibly a main bearing or crank bearing.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And you can't simply use a flex hone to this as the cylinder will need at least resizing to 0.020 over if it cleans up by then. You must use a ridge hone to remove the damage including both the taper and oval of the cylinder.

You are better off the engine as even if the cylinder block, piston, rings, and other parts are available they will cost nearly as much as a new engine at times.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
if you have a friend who will use a Sunnen cylinder hone on it for free or his cost then you can clean it up, mic it and see how far off standard specs they cylinder is. If it is too bad then you have to bore to the next over size available. The piston is junk. That engine either was run dry of oil or got too hot from being pushed too hard, debris in the cooling fins, or had detonation or pinging in it that raised cylinder temperatures. With the cost of parts these days, it is lest costly to buy a new engine. That said, I can buy a used mower, edger, snow blower etc., with a good engine that just needs a tuneup these days for the cost to go pick it up. Lots of folks are going to electric and just want to get rid of the gasoline items they have that need the price of servicing.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
cost more to fix properly than a new engine or shortblock.