Export thread

Cylinder heads of my B&S engine made of cast iron or aluminum? This determines torque for plugs

U

Undead_Craftsman_OHV_20

Hi all,

Here is a dump of information in hopes someone is bored and/or helpful enough to base an analysis on any of it.

The manual for my beloved old family mower says the spark plugs should be changed every season. After 30 seasons, I think it's time. I'd like another 30 on this old nag.

It's a Sears Craftsman LT1000, Model 917.271920 with a Briggs & Stratton engine. I have purchased the new plugs from Sears parts direct but they won't provide me with any technical information on the engine.

I don't want to strip the threads on the cylinder heads, and I don't want loose plugs. I called Champion (plug manufacturer). Their rep told me they recommend seating the plugs at 18-22 ft-lb for aluminum cylinder heads, 26-30 for cast iron. He said that even the "hand-tighten-then-fraction-of-a-turn" recommendations would be different depending on the head material. In any event, I am too dumb and clumsy and not handy with machines to turn 1/16th of a turn, or whatever, reliably. So I got a torque wrench and I'm trying to figure out which value range is correct.

I don't know what the cylinder heads are made of. The part of the cylinder that has the model number stamped on it was rusty enough that I had to scrub it with vinegar and a wire brush to read it. But, I don't know what that tells me about the cylinder *heads*. And, aluminum corrodes a little, right? (It wasn't green "rust", though, so if I had to guess I would say that particular part is iron.)

Craftsman won't talk to me because my mower is a Sears Craftsman "exclusive" product that they don't support.

Sears won't give me this tidbit of information because they want me to buy a service contract and have them install my plugs. I got transferred to 3 different tech reps who cut me off when I said I didn't have a service contract, and they transferred me back to the people that kept saying only the tech reps had the information.

I haven't figured out a way to contact Briggs & Stratton as a consumer with a non-B&S branded product containing a B&S engine. Their "engine locator" has no documents for this engine.

My engine model number is as follows:

MODEL: 407777

TYPE: 0167-E1

CODE: 020518YG

I don't know why the emissions compliance label would help, but just in case, it says:

FAMILY: YBSXS.7242VF (and then a bunch of spaces, and then) 274844

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I've never torqued a spark plug. just get it good and snug with your favorite 3/8 drive ratchet.
Of course Cast iron should be Magnetic and aluminum won't be...

U

Undead_Craftsman_OHV_20

"Cast iron should be Magnetic and aluminum won't be"

holy crap let me go write another 1000 word post because i don't have a brain.

THANKS! by which I mean thanks x 1,000,000 !!

B

bertsmobile1

Add to that, the torque should be different depending upon what type of plug you are using , the thread size & thread length.
For parallel threaded plugs with a crush washer it makes no difference what the head is made of because all you need to do is crush the washer to make an air tight seal
Hand tight + 1/4 turn has always worked for me regardless of everything
And that is holding athe plug wrench by the shaft till it stops turning then a 1/4 turn with the arm of the wrench.

OTOH the old addage is continue tightening till it goes loose then back off 1/2 turn .

StarTech

StarTech

18-21.6 ft-lbs for the 14mm Champion QC12YC (Briggs PN 691043) plugs or hand tight plus 1/2-2/3 turn (note this is hand tight not wrench tight).

sgkent

sgkent

Many plug manufacturers specify ON A NEW PLUG ONLY, tight and 1/4 turn. Once the crush ring is crushed that spec changes. Keep a small magnet around if you need to know whether something is ferrous or another generally non-magnetic metal like aluminum. However even aluminum will allow electric eddies which give it magnetic properties like in an aluminum disk motor - think of your electric meter.