CV730S Smoking

gregjo1948

Threads
CV730S is smoking blue smoke. Compression is 140 on both cylinders. The smoke appears to be coming from the breather box on the right side valve cover with a small hose leading to the carb. Any help would be appreciated. gregjo1948

grumpyunk

Threads
In most cases, blue smoke will be produced in the exhaust gas when oil is being consumed. If you have smoke from the breather, then you likely have an over-pressure being developed in the crankcase. That would be caused by blowby past the piston rings in the common situation. With compression of 140psi, the rings are working pretty well, so that makes it 'uncommon', to me anyway.
I would be checking the other things that will allow air flow into the crankcase, such as the dipstick tube seal. If you get excess air fed into the engine when the pistons go into compression or exhaust, and form a 'suction', then that air has to go somewhere when the pistons come down on intake or power. If you limit air intake, it cannot be there to be forced out, so air coming out indicates a leak of some kind.
I would inspect all the seals that I could that would allow air into the crankcase.
Wonder what the book says?
tom

gregjo1948

Threads
tomw0,
Thank you!!! I know everything you're saying is right. I can't figure where I can be getting that much air into the crankcase. It starts and runs very good. If I remove the dipstick, it blows a lot of smoke out and a mist of oil. Can bad head gaskets leak air into the pan? Thanks again, gregjo1948

grumpyunk

Threads
The B&S Inteks and some other slightly different models are known for the head gasket failing between the two bolts that are on the piston/cylinder side of the pushrod channel(?). The two bolts are out at the periphery, and the gasket goes from top to bottom, so has a good span w/o a bolt. There is another(more?) head bolt further away, past the pushrod channel, so the head is not going to fall off, but they do fail. When that happens, two things are possible, one being soot & oil being blown down onto the chassis, or over-pressure in the crankcase, leading to oil getting pushed out the breather, and pressure-fed to the valve guides, thence the combustion chamber.
Same thing can happen on a Kohler, but I don't think it is as common. If the head gasket allows gas into the crankcase, it will raise the pressure, and push oil & mist.
I don't make a practice of removing the dipstick tube cap when an engine is running, as it WILL blow stuff out at you, no matter the condition of the rings. There is a piston(or more, depending) going up and down, changing the internal volume back and forth as it strokes. There should be a flapper valve or a diffuser or myriad(maze) separator behind the port for crankcase ventilation on the rocker arm cover. With normal flow, it is able to catch the liquid droplets, cause them to fall out of the airflow, and drip back into the crankcase. If overpowered with flow, oil will get into the intake, burn, and cause blue smoke. I have not taken apart either CV I have to inspect for exactly what is in there to limit crankcase flow, but most OHV rocker covers have a maze to slow down or catch the oil.
You can remove the cylinder head and check the gasket, you can inspect the breather element stuff, and also inspect the other parts that seal the crankcase.
You can make up a 'manometer' to see if a slight vacuum is developed in the crankcase or if it will blow the water out of the U-tube(rubber/clear tubing filled with water, U-shaped, one end open to atmosphere, other end connected to the breather tube port. Your own fake amateur manometer w/o gauge...) Check youtube for vid examples.
tom