CV490S Throttle & Governor Linkages

GearHead36

Threads
I have a Husqvarna CZ 4817 Zero Turn Mower (968999220) with a Kohler Command CV490S. It has the common leaky carb problem, so I I'm taking a gamble on a cheap Amazon carb. However, as I'm putting it back together, I notice that the throttle is not wide open with the mower not running. I can move it by hand to full throttle, but the governor is not doing it on its own. I'm wondering if I'm missing a spring somewhere. Can someone provide a diagram of the throttle & governor linkages for this engine?

If not an external spring, then what would be the problem? I'd guess something internal.

Maybe this explains why I've had problems with this mower bogging under load. There have been times when the grass was thick, and when mowing up a slope, I would have to slow down. Maybe it's hasn't been getting full throttle for a while.

Edit: Resolved. Go to my next post for the answer.

Last edited:

Mark H_NO

Threads
Replacing the carb(and I've had good luck with Amazon carbs) means you probably need to adjust the governor. Here's a video. I am not an expert at governors, just learning them now.

Hopefully someone with more experience will show up pretty soon.

GearHead36

Threads
Never mind. Apparently I'm an idiot. I don't know what happened, but it's working now. I just went out to the garage. I was going to make a photo of the linkages to see if I could see what was wrong, and... it's working fine now. At least I think it is. I don't have it running yet.

When I first installed the new carb, I had the choke and throttle linkages reversed. Maybe that's when I noticed that the throttle wasn't fully open. Or maybe I checked it before I snugged the carb to the block. The linkages are correct now, and the carb is snugged up against the block, and with the throttle lever at max, the throttle linkage to the carb has the throttle at wide open with a bit of pressure on it, just as I expected.

On a related note... where do I find the spec for RPM setting for the governor? The engine manual says 3750 max no load, but to check the manufacture's spec for the actual setting. I have an operator manual for the mower, but it doesn't mention this.