"Customer states"

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yard is pretty flat and she likes it. She inherited it when her father passed away.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It sorta like some the shops around should closed for being idiots. I got a 20 yrs CC in the shop where the engine pulley is rusted on. It was fine otherwise but the idiot got the crowbar out and the die grinder. He destroy the engine pulley bending it up and then he cut one of the belt retaining ears off leaving sharp edges. If he had any brains at all he would have just unbolted the engine to put the new drive belt on.

Then proceeds to tell the customer he can't remove the pulley. My lord. All he had to do was remove the engine then use bearing separator puller and a torch to remove the pulley. Again no brains cost the customer an extra 1-1/2 hours in my shop to straighten out the problem if he had approved the estimate the $650 estimate on that very nice 20 yr old CC 1500 series 54" rider. He need all the idlers, drive belt, and the PTO replaced (wires pulled out the clutch).

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Or the heat and quinch.... can't imagine a shop not having Oxy/Acetlyne and water hose... of course you risk damaging the lower seal if you're not careful.
I keep bolts with divets in the head that thread into different cranks just for an air hammer, so i can walk off the pulley.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If know what you are doing then seals are usually safe. I have removed quite a few CC ZTR engine pulleys while the engine was still on the mower since you cant remove the engine otherwise. The last one was send across my parking lot smoking as it was nearly red hot . I don't attempt to save the pulleys either.

Also just nearly three hours getting the king pins out of a 40 yr TB Horse tiller. I ended up on the last pin destroy my pin punch because I use a 3 lb sledge hammer. After I cleaned the pins up they just slid through transmission ears. The customer is complaining about me burning the paint off.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I keep bolts with divets in the head that thread into different cranks just for an air hammer, so i can walk off the pulley.
Yup, i do the same. Air hammer hasn't let me down yet. On the other hand i took a bolt out of a crank and the blade clutch just slid off and smash a finger pretty good. Many bad words.