Cub won't start, need help diagnosing

ianperrymccarthy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello there - I've been having some trouble getting my LT1018 going. Attached is a video. I just dropped a fresh battery in, and the fuel has been in there for three months, but I added stabilizer at the time. I am out of my depth here, so some of the diagnostic stuff is beyond me. I can say the spark plug looks fresh enough, but have never cleaned a carb, or know what a bad fuel filter looks like, you know? Any help for a newbie on where to start looking for trouble would be much appreciated. Thanks y'all!

packardv8

Threads
FWIW, the problem could be electrical. The wiring connectors and the myriad lawyer switches on Cub Cadets eventually develop corrosion or fail, resulting in a no start. There are so many interlocks, unless one has some experience with a multi-meter and a wiring diagram, he's not likely to find the fault.

One try a novice can make is buy a spray contact cleaner. Trace the wiring harness, disconnect the key start switch, the PTO switch, seat switch, all connectors you can find and spray them with contact cleaner. Sometimes the spray and the swiping of the contacts as the connector is removed and installed will make contact again and the engine will start.

jack vines, who eventually completely rewired two Cub Cadets.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
A drop in current through the trigger system would probably result in a rapid clicking or single click of the starter solenoid. Not cranking slow like in the video.

RayMcD

Threads
Hello there - I've been having some trouble getting my LT1018 going. Attached is a video. I just dropped a fresh battery in, and the fuel has been in there for three months, but I added stabilizer at the time. I am out of my depth here, so some of the diagnostic stuff is beyond me. I can say the spark plug looks fresh enough, but have never cleaned a carb, or know what a bad fuel filter looks like, you know? Any help for a newbie on where to start looking for trouble would be much appreciated. Thanks y'all!

Sir, check your oil, I've had a LT1018 for years, the only time it did not start the carb had failed and the cran k case was full of gasoline. It acted just as your video showed. r

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would agree it is time to check the valve clearance and the ACR is working especially since it is a Briggs 310000 series engine. But someone with very limited experience it is probably better to let the local shop repair the problem as it can become very expensive guessing at the problem.

Just a recommendation...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That was my thinking a week ago, post # 2 but looks like Ian has gone AWAL

striker

Threads

A good place to start is cleaning all the terminal connections, ie , battery, starter, and so on, make sure all connections are clean and tight, check for any corrosion on all the electrical connections, and clean if need be.

RayMcD

Threads
A good place to start is cleaning all the terminal connections, ie , battery, starter, and so on, make sure all connections are clean and tight, check for any corrosion on all the electrical connections, and clean if need be.
If it is a older machine don't forget the frame end of the negative cable....