Cub RZT 50 - Not starting but starter turns???

Chance

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello

This is my first post and hope its in the appropriate forum.

I have a Cub RZT 50 and have cut the grass a couple of times this year already. But today, I tried to start it and the engine would not turn over but I can hear the starter turning over but not the motor trying to crank. I have went thru to make sure everything was in order and it was. Arms were in neutral, park on, pto switch off, battery has good charge, everything that I can think of. The only thing out of the norm I can think of is we had some SEVERE storm for about a week and the mover did sit out on covered in the weather. I dont know if this matters or not. It has always sit outside uncovered with no problem before. Please help!!

Chance

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Chance.. Welcome to the Forum..
If you hear the starter spinning but it is not engaging the engine...
remove the starter, there is a gear at the nose of the starter ... that has the equivalent of a Bendix ... It sounds like it is stuck... work it by hand, you will see how it should spin out on a spiral grove... spray a bit of WD40... (yes I know it's not a good lube) it will do fine to clean up this part ...
reattach the starter and it should work...

Do NOT tap or beat on the starter trying to free this up... you may loosen or crack the magnets inside it... :smile:KennyV

Chance

Forum Newbie
Threads
How do you remove the starter? I have tried to but it seems stuck?

wildbill

Threads
I agree with KennyV as to the first thing to try.
1- Disconnect the battery positive side, red wire..
2- Disconnect the large red wire off the starter.
3- There will be 2 bolts holding the starter to the engine, remove them.
4- If you cannot get the starter gear to free up, take it to a local soph and have it checked out.
5- Reinstall, and hook up the battery LAST.